[Stoves] Contacting TC 285 Secretaries (Re: Ranyee)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 12:30:45 CST 2017

I did contact the two TC 285 co-secretaries and received a response from
Ms. Seitz last Tuesday:

"You can see a full list of National Body and Liaison Organization members
here
<http://www.iso.org/iso/home/standards_development/list_of_iso_technical_committees/iso_technical_committee.htm?commid=4857971>:
The list of expert names and individual liaison representative is only
accessible by members of TC 285.  My apologies for not being able to
provide that to you.

TC 285 has not published any standards yet so we have no conducted any
systematic reviews to date.  We anticipate posting two or three projects
this yesar. (sic)"

I am not interested in the intimate details of TC 285 work or becoming a
"registered expert". Public information is good enough; I will wait till
WHO issues any proclamations on health benefits of Emission Rate Targets.

I have one specific suggestion for making public data available on GACC
website: it would be hugely beneficial to have a compilation of data
on measurements of emissions, concentrations, and exposures. The Stove
Performance Inventory Report
<http://cleancookstoves.org/resources_files/stove-performance-inventory-pdf.pdf>
prepared
for GACC states,

"At this point *there has not been formal evaluation or rating of the
quality of the data included in the inventory*. ..The peer-review process
ensures some level of rigor in the overall quality of the publication, The
peer review process, however, is* not standardized and certainly does not
involve the evaluation of the published data against specific, fixed
criteria*. For example, the ISO IWA specifies that PM measurements must be
performed using the gravimetric method for comparison against the tiers of
performance for PM emissions."

Arguably, all "data" are suspect- from results of stove testing in the past
to the claims of WHO "database" on solid fuel emissions to population
exposures to particular air pollutants. "Peer reviews" can be "pal reviews"
unless the publisher has a stake in the integrity of the process. No wonder
nothing is "standardized" in the world of solid fuel stoves; how can there
be a "stove standard" without an IAQ standard, and an air quality
management plan? How can there be a stove testing protocol without
considering contextual chemistries and user practices?

Otherwise, generally the "knowledge" contribution ("Resources" and "News"
tabs) of GACC website is pretty good. Admirable and commendable, in fact. I
suggest providing links to documents that are referred to in GACC-supported
studies (e.g., market reports of Dalberg). That would make it easier to
check out their sources. Also, it would be nice to know in one place GACC's
"knowledge generation" work -- annual reports on EBCC
<http://iati.dfid.gov.uk/iati_documents/5368271.odt> or similar projects -
and corresponding publiclyavailable data
<https://devtracker.dfid.gov.uk/projects/GB-1-203036> if the funding source
has such details.

Thanks,

Nikhil