[Stoves] About cooking and stove development Re: TLUD bottom wet wood layer

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed Jan 18 09:00:10 CST 2017

Neil,

Thank you for your very interesting comments about your experiences with
TLUD cooking.

You asked about people experimenting with cooking.  There are so many
people, there are sure to be some who experiment.  And some get lucky
and new methods and info occur.   But for the most part, I think that
cooking remains the same, even from generation to generation.

To be innovative (and not just lucky) requires sufficient success to be
encouraging to continue innovating.   Or some past experience (Wendelbo)
or advanced knowledge (Reed) or an introduction to something new
(Anderson and many others, including yourself) that triggers the desire
to keep experimenting until there is success.

But many people do not have the freedom (of time) and resources to make
the experiments over and over and over until something useful occurs.
If the food is not cooked, the consequences are bad enough to not want
to try again with something shown to not be working well.

That is why I disagree about "ask the cooks to design the stove that
they want."   Of course that can work, and we do want inputs from the
eventual customers / users of the stoves.   But it is not reasonable to
expect some breakthrough with some group of cooks, when millions of
groups of cooks during thousands of years of human use of fire to
prepare food have still left so many people still cooking on 3-stone
fires today.

Example:  If a layer of damp fuel in the bottom of TLUD stoves is
turning out to be noteworthy (and it is), why has it taken over 30 years
of TLUD existance to have that discovered?   Maybe someone else did it
earlier, but the message never got circulated.  And even now, the
distribution and discussion and (I hope) further experimentation by
others is still extremely limited.  And WE are connected.   At the
village level, small improvements might reach another village, but much
depends on contacts by the person(s) with the improvement and those who
might check it out and might adopt it.   That means to cook in one house
meeting the cook in a house in a different village, not the village
leaders getting together with other village leaders who all know very
little about what the cook did to make the food they eat.

Maybe others will carry on this discussion on the Stoves Listserv. ( I
must continue my preparation for the ETHOS meeting where some stove
innovations might be shared, but very few of the innovations are from
the cooks.)

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com