[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT

Xavier Brandao xvr.brandao at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 18:17:48 CST 2017

Dear Ranyee,

Thanks a lot for answering so quick.

It is good to hear that the GACC is aware of the issue, and that there
are people working on it at the moment in the ISO committee.

But how long will it take?

I was present in The Hague, for the IWA workshop, in February 2012. At
that time, a few persons in the audience, including Crispin, agreed to
sign the agreement only under the conditions that the protocols,
especially the WBT, are discussed and challenged, and their validity
assessed. The ISO TC 285 would be working on it.

That was 5 years ago.

The papers I quoted to Ron date from the last few years. The authors can
be contacted.

It seems to me, from what I read, that there is something like 95%
certainty that the WBT is highly flawed, and as Crispin said, unfixable.
It has evolved a lot during a decade, several versions, but the very
core issues are still there.

With all the documentation we have now, the burden of proof lies on the
WBT side. What we should be taking now is the precautionary principle.
That is the most reasonable decision. If something has high chances to
be harmful, it should be put aside. Indecision is a decision. Inaction,
is an action already.

Now, all the information needed is at hand, it is in those studies, well
documented. Could you please let us know:

·what is preventing the GACC, RKTCs, and ISO working groups to take a
final decision on the WBT? What are the remaining questions?

Thanks in advance,

Xavier