[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Jan 23 11:52:21 CST 2017

Crispin,

Playing with words.   FUEL is not the same as ENERGY.   You and I have
discussed this before.   And I accept that wood that has been turned
into gases and charcoal is no longer wood.   But the Char is still with
significant ENERGY, and that is what needs to be stated.

If CREEC is following the same terminology as the other testing centers,
so be it.   The line should be labeled "energy efficiency."

You wrote:
> The appropriate metric for that [cooking] is the 'cooking efficiency',
> which considers the amount of fuel needed and the cooking accomplished.
Why would you say FUEL?????   We all know that people do not cook with
FUEL.  They cook with the ENERGY that comes from the fuel. TLUD stoves
(char making stoves) do not release all of the energy from the fuel.

You have not convinced me at all.   As I said, "playing with words."  I
refer ONLY to the topic of char that needs to be taken into account.

And you said that I would agree that knowing "heat transfer efficiency"
woud not be helpful to me.   I disagree.   It is certainly useful to
know how well a stove gets the heat transferred into the pot.   We add
pot skirts, bring the flame closer or further away, whatever it takes to
get improvement.   And whether or not a stove has made charcoal or not
is not part of that discussion because we are talking about energy, not
fuel.

Concerning all of your _other _contentions about problems with the WBT,
I cerrtainly hope that your arguements are not based on playing with words.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com