[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT

Jiddu alexander san at nesware.net
Wed Jan 25 01:43:54 CST 2017

Hello Stovers (and Xavier),

As you know Xavier, I have had some of these worrying results.

For example externally tested charcoal stoves, that should have way less influence of users (less tending than wood). Similar to Prime we have tests that score top tier on emissions and lower on efficiency and the other way around from other centers.

Both these results could be correct. Depending on whether the stove is used at high or low power, the fuel (size of pieces and moisture), the intensity of the start up phase, and more.
However, due to the results metrics of the WBT I can't distinguish the tests by what actual task they performed.

The WBT protocol is unreproducible. In my opinion largely due to its vague boiling and simmering phases, where I believe something like cooking power (in Watts) is much more suitable.

I am, like Camilla, a supporter of the CSI Indonesia protocol. It's repoducible and relevant. However, it is only relevant for Indonesia and hence more relevant protocols need to be developed.

Another large issue remains the scientific calculations. The low power metrics of the WBT remain invalid metrics by my standards (and that's just a fraction of its problems). Meaningless metrics are not just unneseccary, they are harmful because people don't consider them meaningless.
I believe there is protocol (HTP) out there that has been externally reviewed multiple times for its scientific rigour. There is a great team of people behind it that work very hard to make lab testing for stoves actually represent the field.

It will take time to develop the correct protocol that suits all the stakeholders and that's fine, but it shouldn't take to much time to step away from the harmful situation now.
Designing stoves for the WBT is drastically different than designing stoves for cooks. GACC, as long as you recommend the WBT, the money will flow to designing WBT stoves.

Best,
Jiddu

Message: 11