[Stoves] Differences in stove testing ---- was Re: ETHOS 2017 agenda and logistics

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 27 09:02:16 CST 2017

(Subject line changed to reflect the actual topic.)

Cecil,

Your reply (below) was off to such a good start, agreeing to not insist
on the same tests to compare apples and oranges (char-making stoves and
non-char-making stoves, which might be called ash-making stoves because
that is what happens if the char is consumed and the char's energy is
released.)

But then you revert back to the old arguements that rely on equating
fuel with enegy.  Those arguements simply do not hold up.

Analogy:  If a person is thirsty but needs to know if what is in each
cup is safe to drink, the tests for a cup of Ice tea and a cup of cold
milk should be different, but should answer the necessary questions.
(But let's not now  discuss tea and milk, okay?)

I heard (from John Mitchel, I think) that the testing protocols are now
with some adjustments for char-producing and for ash-producing stoves.
If I understood him correctly, this is in the protocols that are moving
forward.  John will be at ETHOS and he (and Ranyee and others) can
verify this aspect.

I hope that we can soon stop using "char issues" to condemn the WBT.

**********************
ON THE OTHER HAND, Concerning OTHER issues about the WBT, those should
be addressed also.   And regarding that, Xavier  message (below Cecil's)
raises important questions.   For them, I have not heard complete
answers yet.

Xavier wrote:     (anyone wanting more info should read his full message
with a reprinted abstract of serious studies.)

>   * do you contest the role of thermodynamic uncertainties (viz.
>     variable steam production and boiling point determination) on
>     results repeatability? Can you ensure there are no uncertainties?
>     Of if there are, can you ensure they have no effect on results
>     repeatability? How?
>   * do you have an answer to the questions about the rationale of some
>     calculations raised by Zhang et al.?
>   * do you support the statistical approach recommended by this
>     standardised laboratory-based test to evaluate, communicate and
>     compare performances and emissions of tested stoves, i.e. using
>     the arithmetic average of three replicate tests? How do you
>     guarantee this statistical approach ensure good comparison of
>     stove performances?
>
> I don't need to be a scientist myself, to understand there is
> something wrong when I hear these researchers sounding the alarm(s).
 From the reprinted abstract, what concerns me is this:
> At 99% confidence level, only 15% of all the supposed ‘‘improved”
> stoves emerged as real ICSs at most. When enough statistical
> information is provided from WBT results, only the Stove with fan
> model of cookstoves seemed to reveal real improvements with a
> probability greater than 93%.
That statement lacks precision about "Stove with fan model".   But
reading between the lines, I interpret that as favorable news for TLUDs
with forced air.   And that will probably favorably relate to TLUDs with
natural draft WHEN SUFFICIENT NUMBERS ARE TESTED AND COMPARED.

And that same quote is UNfavorable news for most of the ICS "improved"
stoves that probably should not be getting so much support or being
counted as being progress and accomplishments.

What could be useful is if FULL access to test DATA (not summaries)
could be available for analysis and even some RE-processing.   The
problem with this is that testing centers do not release the data
without written permission from the maker of the stoves.   I am not sure
that GACC or anyone could change that policy.

You will hear more about this at different sessions at ETHOS, including
my Saturday evening presentation at ETHOS (with eventual postings to the
Stoves Listserv.)  So please stay tuned!!

ETHOS is this weekend.  Some participants might not even see this
message (because they are in transsit, etc.)

If you see bright lights in the sky this weekend, that might be from
fireworks at ETHOS!! :-)

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com