[Stoves] Fuel qualities as the limiting factor, and getting rid of WBT (Was: Frank on helium surrogate)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 23:33:21 CST 2017

Frank:

Pray tell, why is that a critical feature - starting with the fuel and
ending with a completed cooking task?

I never saw mere heating water as a major "cooking task", nor the relevance
of various measurements of combustion efficiency, heat transfer
efficiency,control efficiency, all measured in reference to particular fuel
and particular pot.

This is a decades old obsession of bean-counters of thermodynamic
efficiency, fuel consumption, trees saved, etc. that has a partial but not
a controlling place in design of usable cookstoves for specific uses in
specific contexts of cooking and markets for fuels.

Now WBT is extended to CO and PM2.5 hourly emission rates, no matter that
the rather baseless WHO IAQ Guideline is in terms of annual average
exposure.

I submit WBT has no valid purpose. I am not technically qualified to
address whether any other test is any better, just that if performance
metrics are not relevant to the cook, no matter of lab fanaticism will get
the biomass stove movement anywhere.

Time to question purported science. If it doesn't serve the needs, it is
deficient. We didn't  use thermodynamicists alone to design furniture, did
we? And furniture is a bigger business than biomass stoves.

I go back to my very post back in June or July -- what is the service
standard and what is the objective of standard setting? Nobody has yet
dared to propose an answer.

Nikhil

(India +91) 909 995 2080