[Stoves] Village scale electricity generation (Re: Ken)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 00:03:14 CST 2017

Ken:

I suggest you take  your questions to the CEO of GACC whose legal title is
the Executive Director of UNF, Inc. The SE4All bandwagon of UNF is heavily
into village-scale electricity generation.

It doesn't have to be PV. It can be any local resource or diesel, LPG. I
have found both solar and diesel in remote islands of Vanuatu and villages
in South Asia or Africa. Money is the limiting factor.

Providing 50w per household will only ensure poor people stay poor. One
cannot hope to have transformative impact of electricity at such low levels
except via IEECTs - Information, Entertainment, Education, and
Communication Technology that is the smartphone or wi-fi connected tablet
(assuming investment of ~$100 and communication/storage expenses of minimum
~$10 a month are affordable).

I am not too sure what you mean by "counter-cultural". My late mother went
from wood to charcoal to kerosene to LPG to electricity, including
microwave, but stopped at induction. I even went to induction and cook most
of the things she used to make except breads. Read Kirk Smith's
presentations on Ecuador and to Paraguay, India.

Getting rich enough to afford and then to subsidize is not a bad goal.

Nikhil

---------
(India +91) 909 995 2080