[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 00:27:52 CST 2017

Xavier:

I wholehearedly support your call "to ask the GACC to:

   - publicly acknowledge that the WBT has major shortcomings
   - to remove the protocol from its website, so cookstove sector
   stakeholders do not use it
   - to actively promote development and use of other, valid, protocols."

GACC is not accountable to anybody and its Leadership Council has no
legally defined role (which is perhaps why it is not called a Board of
Directors). The only persons who can be publicly shamed are Hillary and
Bill Clinton. (GACC was Hillary's version of Clinton Global Initiative, one
of the lead fronts for Clinton Foundation, since obviously she wanted
something with her signature on it. CGI did promote GACC by and by.)

Nor should GACC continue to enjoy the privileges of being a "custodian" for
WBT, an incoherent, conceptually fatal toy for some technologists just as
DALY baloney has become the tool for infantile epidemiologists gallivanting
from Nepal and Malawi to Nigeria and India. I for one think it should be
forced to leave the TC 285 as the IWA is reviewed and GACC is reformed. In
another post, I will argue that it has failed DfID and the whole "cause" of
individual quantification of multiple benefits - health, climate,
livelihoods, women's empowerment.

Five years since IWA, GACC has little progress to show toward what it
hazily called "international standards". There is no internationally
standard fuel, cook, cuisine, geographic and economic environment. Cooking
is in the chemistries of smells and taste, and physics of touch and optics.

I also question the performance metrics and WHO IAQ Guidelines for
Household Fuel Combustion. But the current base for all cooked up numbers
is either WBT or similar questionable protocols - or worse, measurements
without protocols. (Cite-o-logists wouldn't know that there can't be
measures without methods.) Hence, WBT must go, and a re-assessment of the
failed enterprise must begin.

WBT, RIP.

I won't say the same of GACC, because it did take on far much more than can
be plausibly delivered. The higher ups at UNF should be joined in public
shaming, not GACC staffs.

I suggest GACC gather donor funds to compile an inventory of all methods
and results of "performance metrics" for "baseline" and/or "intervention"
stoves in the last ten years, and also put up an inventory of all emission
and exposure data underlying the updates in Global Burden of Disease since
2008. Lab fanatics do not seem to recognize that small definitional errors
or computational manipulations have huge propaganda consequences.

Nikhil
---------
(India +91) 909 995 2080