[Stoves] Sets of tests and the CoV of results - various methods

cec1863 at gmail.com cec1863 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 01:09:15 CST 2017

Dear Fellow Stove Researchers‎,

I think Crispin is too generous with his recognition of my small role in communicating to him what I observed happening in real time in a few instances of cooking a meal in the kitchens of rural households in Central Java. What is truly remarkable is that Crispin was sufficiently open minded to use my qualitative field observations of the exquisite, almost ballet like beauty of the stove operators'  hands as describing the  behavioral skills and timing required by the operator of a technologically limited stove to get the cooking performance wanted within an acceptable window of time.

The collaboration Crispin and I achieved in Java and Mongolia‎ is an example of the potential benefit when a combustion scientist in the lab and a social scientist in the community communicate well and invent a meta language. Such a meta-language makes it possible to discover and objectively describe patterns of stove use and preference by cooks and the performance characteristics of different types of traditional and innovative stove/fuel systems (including agricultural and commercial applications).

To his great credit Crispin found ways to translate my qualitative observations of different patterns of timed stove use into quantifiable properties of different types of cooking devices in the field. He converted our lab/field collaboration into "embodied" performance characteristics of particular stove technologies considered as physical stoves (operated in a standard way).

It is obvious we can greatly improve ‎the collaboration between hard ware stove scientists and cultural/behavioral stove "scientists". As Nikhil never tires of reminding us further progress in the small stove world depends upon seriously defining and operationalizing the human and physical stove attributes and dynamics separating between desirable and undesirable candidate stoves.

IMO we will not progress much until professionally competent multi-disciplinary teams are formed and held accountable for predicting and rating probable demand for competing stoves by different stove using publics.

It is time to stop messing around and start financing serious collaboration between what CP Snow long ago described as the incompatible cultures  of physical sciences and cultural ‎studies (humanities). Understanding, testing, desiging, and predicting improved domestic stoves requires a respectful and balanced  collaboration of these two cultures. If Crispin and Cecil can unify lab and community science processes others can find their own ways to collaborate.

Our collaboration has advanced the cause of science and technology in the public interest. Ralph Nader's Science for the Citizen, the former Congressional Office of Technology Assessment (OTA), the NSF's forgotten Research Applied to National Need (RANN), and the OEO initiated and Gandhi and Schumacher inspired National ctr for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) are historical examples of past efforts to harmonize the two cultures.

In search,
Cecil the Cook

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.