[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun Jan 29 00:32:03 CST 2017

Dear Nikhil

"...the Stove Performance Inventory and other test results do not have general validity. ‎"

There is no such thing as 'general validity' meaning 'true in all circumstances' or 'reasonably true' any more than a car can be tested with one grade of gasoline and be efficient and the conclusion drawn that it will 'perform well' with all other grades of gasoline.

St‎uff and nonsense.

Regarding the matter ‎of the 'burn sequence' (which is what a stoves does, ignorant of the contents of the pot). This is a critical matter.

If you can, please read the documentation, what little there is, on the CSI test method. It describes in its simplest form how to observe a community, document various burn sequences, combine the mathematically into a single, technical test' that 'puts the stove through its paces' while simulating an 'average cooking sequence'.

That average is mere guess, it is the combination of behaviours that represent, if conducted daily for a month, for example, ‎all the cooking that the stove would do in a month. This is far more sophisticated than guessing at a single meal's tasks. It can be weighted by meal and task frequency. It can be modified to represent seasons of the availability of certain fuels seasonally.

The combination of stove, fuel and grouped tasks converted into a single technical test makes a reasonable prediction of how the stove will perform on average in a given context.

We could even include fuel switching and occasional weddings if necessary.
The method rests on properly identified behaviours and patterns of use, plus some understanding of how fuels are selected, used or avoided.

The technical test (TT) is validated against the sum of, for example emissions, and registered with a number. I proposed this a number of times in various forums and it has been well received by many sectors. The point is to gradually build up a set of realistic TT's ‎so manufacturers anywhere can optimise their products to handle the fuels and tasks in particular markets.

Labs that are not capable of validating technical tests can still use them once delineated. If I want to sell stoves in Guandong I will look up the TT's that are relevant to the scale of cooking: home, small restaurant, single working man, and develop the stove around that test sequence.

The CSI provides a methodology for establishing the cooking sequences, then creating a TT, then running the experiment. Any relevant cooking simulation is in some way a facet of this multi-faceted jewel. The method is built on principles and two sound sciences, social and physical.

Crispin:

Thank you for clarification about "burn sequence". From what I remember, the trouble with WBT - apart from the conceptual errors and manipulations of the protocol - is not that it is for boiling water but that the "burn sequence" is not representative of cooking tasks generally. Maybe in some contexts, but then we do not yet have an inventory of contexts and burn sequences. Combined with the fact that we do not have an inventory of biomass qualities (including chemistries), "traditional" stove types (other than "three-stone", even which has a great diversity in burn sequences), the Stove Performance Inventory and other test results do not have general validity.

I don't think specifying one "burn sequence" is enough even for individual contexts. There should be at least five to ten burn sequences and variations in timing (daily, seasonal) and quantities (including for water/space heating as a co-product) for individual contexts. That way, some changes in cooking cultures can be accommodated over a medium-term (five  years).

Any international standardization of household cooking is ludicrous. Hence, WHO IAQG and ISO IWA process are also, I am afraid, ludicrous.

Or worse.

Nikhil

Message: 13