[Stoves] ELFD Sampada - was Re: Fuel qualities as the limiting factor, and getting rid of WBT (Was: Frank on helium surrogate)

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Mon Jan 30 19:16:43 CST 2017

On 30 Jan 2017 at 15:51, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:

> Dear Frank
>

> How is this: ?the anthropologist comes from the field and tells you
> that the community will not spend time preparing fuel, and you can
> only plan on burning stick fuel.

Maybe there is already a stove approach that might cope better with
anything that can be stuffed into it?  The Samuchit ELFD Sampada invented
by Dr Karve's daughter and discussed here last March, but I suspect
without benefit of this excellent animation to better visualise it, might
fit the bill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVD_x4pPSHw

Burns indefinitely and smokelessly.  Has anyone actually tested it?

I wouldn't mind betting that if Crispin can successfully reinvent the
paraffin primus stove for gravity feed instead of pumped pressure he
might find a way to simplify the steam side of this stove too with a
gravity feed through some maybe ball bearing non return valve
arrangement?

Worth another look?

Neil Taylor