[Stoves] Chimenys not the answer thus far. Re: LPG Watch - Update 2017-07-03 (Paul on Kirk Smith Comments on the India LPG)

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Jul 20 14:46:15 CDT 2017

Dear Paul

I am interested in this comment:

>And simply putting chimneys onto plancha stoves (rocket or otherwise) has not resolved the issues.

Which ‘issues’?

In Kenya there was an effort on tea estates to add chimneys to space heating fires and they blocked completely in as little as two months due to the terrible combustion efficiency. They didn’t have ‘combustion chambers’ in any real sense of the word. I describe such stoves as ‘a box with a chimney’, borrowed from John Davies in Secunda.

A chulha with a chimney is hardly a decent solution. What is odd however is that this approach is not sought first, foremost and consistently.

It smacks of incompetence or ‘an agenda’ where there shouldn’t be one. Dung is a very good, clean-burning fuel when it is in the right combustion environment. This is hardly a mystery or trade secret.