[Stoves] Working to reduce emissions from wood burning appliances in the UK

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 09:40:35 CDT 2017

Crispin:

Delightful. This should go to OECD environmental directorate.

This is for new stoves only, includes coal as well, and the requirement
kicks in 2022 though the SIA will only produce compliant stoves by 2020. I
wish they clarified whether the emissions reductions will be within two
feet of the stove or at the chimney exhaust level.

Unless Defra forces retirement of old stoves, the impact on total wood and
coal emissions - and chimney exhausts - may be very gradual.

It is also telling that there are no restrictions on the quality of wood
and fuels sold. The article emphasizes the moisture content of wood, but
doesn't say if the new stoves can only be burnt with dry enough wood. Which
raises question about this claim it makes:

"The DECC *Domestic Wood Usage survey*(2015) revealed that 70% of the wood
burnt in London was burnt on open fires (nationally the figure is nearly
60%).  Defra’s own figures show that domestic coal and wood burning
contributes between 7% to 9% of London’s fine particulate concentrations
(PM2.5 & PM10). From these figures, it can be seen that the installation of
Ecodesign Ready stoves could lead to a significant reduction in PM
emissions. "

Well, even as Ecodesign Ready stoves lead to (as "could lead to') a
reduction in PM emissions, but the impact on concentrations and exposure
will be determined by other sources of particulates, including the older
wood and coal stoves.

Perhaps a UK Burden of Disease study could show that these new regulations
reduce national PM2.5 emissions from wood and coal domestic burning by 10%
by 2040, and national average concentrations and daily exposure to such
Household Air Pollution (HAP) by 3% (depending on chimney types and air
circulation models).

I offer my services to Kirk Smith to compute a reduction in premature
mortality of UK in 2050 due to such HAP reduction regulations. My estimate
- 50 to 5,000 per year, depending on what I get paid. (It doesn't matter
that actual fine particulate concentrations and exposure may increase due
to other sources, and that UK death rate may also increase as the
population ages.)

Nikhil