[Stoves] Working to reduce emissions from wood burning appliances in the UK

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 16:44:08 CDT 2017

On 26 July 2017 at 14:26, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends
>
> http://www.airqualitynews.com/2017/07/18/stove-manufacturers-working-tackle-emissions/

A couple of interesting points since we discussed the problem of
pollution in London last winter; the  issue is mostly down to wood
burning in open fires which is also very wasteful of energy.

I think the figures for various moisture contents are misleading in
that wood is generally bought by volume here so the same volume of
wood at differing moisture contents will not be so great as shown.
Wood as a fuel is a luxury good and poor value compared with other
fuels here because of the high labour content and high wages, so a lot
of waste wood will be in that usage. Of course I deprecate burning of
wet wood as it is far more difficult to have a clean flue gas. Indeed
I shall consider replacing my 30 + year old Jotul 602 with something
that meets the new standard and have intended to cover my woodstack
for some time now.

Note the site is sponsored by purveyors of LPG

> It includes emission regulations for PM2.5 and PM10.

I missed that, what figures did they give?

Andrew