[Stoves] New video from Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan stove pilots

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Jul 27 05:37:34 CDT 2017

Dear Friends

The WB has put out a new combined video showing scenes from the two countries and it is available here<http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/video/2017/06/20/clean-individual-heating-solutions-in-the-kyrgyz-republic-and-tajikistan>.

The is a very brief shot of the gas flame at about 1:25. That is the Model 4 crossdraft coal gasifier flame. Note the colour. When the cover is on, it burns with less disturbance but that is hard to show without a glass cover.

There is also a good view towards the end of a TLUD gasifier which has a burn time of about 9 hours. The only fuel provided to schools is a very poor quality 'Aine coal' which is about 50% rock. It looks like black rock to start and white rock after burning. That TLUD is able to burn it properly provided there is sufficient draft, which means a 5m chimney. Achieving that was quite difficult, I admit and was only solve on literally the last day of the trip in November.

There are two videos now but I think the other one has been referenced here before. The new one is combined. A total of 91 homes were involved in the pilot in the two countries. The PM reduction numbers mentioned are modest, the true figures for the Models 4 and 5 coal stove are closer to 99.9%.