[Stoves] New video from Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan stove pilots

Cecil Cook cec1863 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 19:32:15 CDT 2017

Crispin my butiwam,

Please design me a small 2 pot front loading cooking and heating stove with
a 4 hour fire box that has good primary air flow and heated secondary air
(maybe with a flame tube) with a deep 24 hour  interior ash tray that is
easy to slide out and empty ....that has a separate  6 inch vertical
chimney. It should be easily convertable from burning split wattle wood to
coal and/or wood pellets using grates that can be slide into the stove
through the front door. Maybe it needs to be big enough to accommodate thin
firebricks in the combustion chamber.

In my mind I see a stove that is made out of laser cut metal plates that
are fitted together in a jig so they can be quickly and accurately welded
along the joints. The door mechanism needs to be robust and tight fitting
with an adjustable but very simple clamping action closing mechanism.

The primary and secondary air inlets need to be easy to operate and adjust
so that the stove can be damped down for 6 hours during the night when
fully loaded with split wattle without smoldering and giving off a lot of
smoke. That is your department to figure out how to get a full charge of
wood to burn vertically from one end of the firebox to the other... so the
combustion zone inside the box burns vertically and through the nite and
moves slowly in a horizontal direction from one end of the combustion
chamber to the other end.

You will know how to get a relatively constant flow of enough primary and
perhaps secondary air vertically across the burning face of a big (high?)
stack of split wood. The trick is maintaining low emission combustion
during nite after turning down the stove.  Can you do that?? I suppose this
is another variant of cross flow combustion.

Maybe you can figure out how to achieve slow but complete horizontal
combustion through a stack of split 6 inch diameter lengths of round wood.
Perhaps you can get two very different modes of combustion - one a slow or
even fast horizontal mode and the other a fast or slow vertical mode.....
in the same stove.

Crispin I am freezing my butt off in Stuttetheim (South Africa) and I need
a dimensional design that I can give to a competent welding/metal working
shop to fabricate for me ASAP. For friendship sake please help me out here.
It can cost $50 to $100 (R600 to R1200) when fabricated in large numbers.

Is this do-able?

Thanks in advance for helping me out. If you get the design right we will
know because like the TATU soil cement brick press the local metal workers
will immediately borrow our design and start producing it to satisfy the
demand of nrarby households for a radically improved heating and cooking
stove!

In search,
Cecil the Cook