[Stoves] New video from Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan stove pilots

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 12:07:11 CDT 2017

Crispin, Paul:

A dumb question: Is it the production of gases or the high temperatures --
or some sequence thereof -- which makes for very low emission rates
independent of fuel type and quality? Or is it the relatively steady power
requirements of a heating stove?

It suddenly dawned on me - reading a children's book - that the type of
large heating stove used in Europe that also doubled for cooking was
because of the type of cooking: grilling, roasting, soups and stews, but
less of frying and spicing as in Asia.

Or that the cuisine responded to the availability of energy delivery
system.

Bernard Lewis wrote a brilliant essay called "In the Finger Zone", where he
said (writing from memory), "The world can be divided in three areas by way
of eating: fork zone, finger zone, chopstick zone. These areas are also
roughly fresh cream zone, sour cream (or yoghurt) zone, and no cream zone."

Now I am thinking of world geographies and human cooking histories as
"Cookstove zone, Heating and cooking stoves zone, and Combo stove zone."

I still hold that for cooking-only stoves with a rich enough menu, biomass
of low energy density has different emission rates according to fuel
quality (and operating practices, of course). That a WBT can deliver "stove
performance" independent of fuel quality is presumptively dubious.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*