[Stoves] Fine Particulates from a Selection of Cookstoves

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 1 09:45:44 CDT 2017

Jim,

Thank you for the corrections.   I have never seen or used either Stove
4 or Stove 10, but I should have remember #4  and paid more attention
before sending my comments.  So I change my earlier comment:

> THIS IS OUT:    #4.  Stove Tec Prototype.  Lousy choice to be representing TLUD-FA stoves.  This is old by TLUD standards.
> It was tested years ago with great results.   Only one unit ever made, as far as I know..

THIS IS IN:    #4.  Stove Tec Prototype.  Acceptable choice for showing low emissions of TLUD-ND stoves because it was tested in earlier studies, but it is not reprsentative of existing, in production, TLUD-ND stoves.  #4 is old by TLUD standards.
It was tested years ago with great results.   Only one unit ever made, as far as I know..

Further Interpretations.
On the summary Figure 5 of the article (I think I am not allowed to
paste it here, but maybe Jim as a co-author of the artilce might be able
to put that one Figure 5 onto a Listserv message), there are 3
measurement scales relating to particulate sizes:

1.  PM measured as <2.5 MICRO meter    Which is < 2500 nm. This is the
most used measurement about bad particulates

2.  UFP (Ultra fine particles) measured with diameter less than 100 nm
(Nanometer).  100 nm = 0.1 micrometer.

3.  Fractions of particles smaller than 30 nm.  [This is a fraction or
percentage, with values for Alcohol and LPG (42 to 22% respectively
being not much differenent from the Jiko Poa (rocket) stoves with low
moisture and high moisture wood.  Even the 3-stone fire at about 46%
.   So I do not know much about interpreting those results, and make no
further comments about these fractions.]

A.  In PM2.5 and UFP, the 3-stone fire is the worst or second worst, and
the three burners Alcohol and LPG and Kerosene (all very industrially
processed fuels) are the best.  No surprises there.

B.  Of all the units with solid fuel (wood and 1 with rice husk and one
charcoal), the two best (lowest emissions) are the Philips
high-turbulance (fan-jet) stove (which is not operated as a TLUD stove)
and the Stove 4 TLUD-ND with pellet fuel.  Clearly lower PN2.5 readings
(about half of the readings for rice husk and charcoal.  YES, they beat
CHARCOAL in the PARTICULATE MATTER emissions.   The forced-air Philips
and the TLUD-ND have PM<2.5 about 90 to 100 units (mg/MJ), about 1/7th
of the PM 2.5 of the 3-stone fire (over 700) and MUCH less than the 460
to 520  units of the two rocket stoves.  .

C.  The wort result result in PM<2.5 was the #10, the low moisture wood
in the Philips Natural Draft, which was NOT a rocket (side feed) stove,
and might have been operated as a TLUD-ND.   Even if operated as a
TLUD-ND, it was not a good representative.

COMMENT:  I believe that other TLUD-ND stoves (Champion, Prime/Nurhuda,
Harris Wonderwerk, Peko Pe) will work as well or even better than Stove
#4.   We will need another study to show that. But at this point based
on the reported research, ONCE AGAIN the TLUD stoves are the BEST of the
wood-burning devices.   AND it was done with NATURAL DRAFT.  We need to
see good comparative testing that also includes the Mimi-Moto and the
FAABulous and experimental TLUD-FA stoves.

NOTE:  This is comparative testing.   The results can also be expressed
in the Tier terminology.   (or should that be spelled TEAR
terminology??(wink).    By comparison, LPG and alcohol are cleaner than
the TLUD stoves, but TLUDs are getting cleaner and cleaner, AND they
have advantages that LPG and alcohol and kerosene can never have.
Factor in the issues of fuel supply, fuel price, stove price, and many
other things, it is high time for the stove community to take notice of
the TLUD stoves and to get into gear to support them.

I am available to assist anyone regarding TLUD advancement.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com