[Stoves] Adolescent females killed by WHO (Re: Crispin, Philip)

Nikhil Desai ndesai at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jun 1 12:48:37 CDT 2017

Roger:

Shocked?

You ain't seen nuthin' yet.

The way aid industry communications have transformed over the last quarter
century or so, I have learned to forgive mild exaggeration and soft deceit.
Here the main problem is that the authors of press release claim - "pneumonia
– often a result of household air pollution from cooking with solid fuels.”

To claim "a result of" means "caused by". WHO cannot provide any evidence
of this.

In turn, that is because - as I pointed out in a post back last September
on this list - the cooks of GBD use different standards of scientific
integrity than what you and I may find logical. They ASSIGN causes of
death. They ALLOCATE risk factors for such causes.

It's a farce. That it is an accepted farce within a certain class of public
health folks is as tolerable as some theories of free market capitalism or
of central planning in academic economics departments which I am familiar
with. Social sciences - public health is a social science first, not a
biomedical science - have this problem of accountability all the time.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(India +91)909 995 2080
*Skype: nikhildesai888*