[Stoves] solar cooker response (changing thread name)

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Jun 14 07:09:59 CDT 2017

Dear Dieter

Do you know the name(s) of the test methods used during that comparison, and did any of them make it to being accepted as an international solar cooker standard?

Also, thank you for your clarifications and request that we consider the whole solar sector is not a single 'thing'. Because solar cookers require a backup device, often a biomass stove, we should pay attention on this channel.

Arising out of the Sout‎h African GTZ (at the time) project is the realisation that the biomass stove has to be rapid lighting. By the time the cook gives up on the solar cooked meal, the need for immediate heat is obvious. The report on the project should be available on line. To be practical, the biomass and solar stoves should be marketed as a pair. We toyed with the idea at the time that the biomass stove could be built into the solar cooker.

Generally speaking the solar cooker cost a lot more than a back up stove.

‎
Dear Stovers,

A source of confusion concerning solar cookers is the large variety of devices, all of them called "solar cookers". At the Plataforma Solar/Almeria/Spain there was an International Solar Cooker Test by Eurpoean Committee for Solar Cooking Research in 1994 with 25 participating devices. One of them did not cook at all; the SK parabolic cooker (1.4 m reflector diameter) brougt 48 liters of water to the boil per day. Some cookers had direct access to the pot, others not. Some were only applicable for special tasks, etc.

Thus, general judgments are problematic. Solar cooking is a great opportunity with a high variety of applications. Problems can be overcome, but persistence is necessary, similar e.g. to the development of bicycles.

Kind regards,
Dieter