[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 16:42:43 CDT 2017

Xavier:

Aren't you asking a bit too much that GACC make an "official" declaration
about the WBT? It did not have an official standing to require the use of
WBT and related equipment or staff, and it does not have such in requiring
non-use either.

USAID did and does have such influence and perhaps the history of USAID
stove projects may shed light on the perceived promises of WBT over the
last 40 years.

USAID could of course get away with WBT - any version, any equipment - when
not protested by the host government or prevented by it. But even then I
doubt use of WBT and related equipment had an official approval in the US,
with a proper legal imprimatur from the entities that can approve stove
testing methods and certify the equipment. To my mind, these are EPA and
possibly NIST.

It is possible that PCIA - the predecessor of GACC and a joint initiative
of USAID and EPA - enshrined some version of the VITA WBT in the IWA. (PCIA
came into being around 2000 but USAID stoves projects go back to 1970s.)

There are probably good records in USAID project reports of where and when
WBT protocol gave reliable results. When it failed, it may have been
because the protocol had intrinsic conceptual and methodological errors or
the equipment was at fault or the test staff erred.

Of course, one can always fault the cooks for field performance. By its own
account, ARC follows "fuel-free", "cook-free" approach to stove testing.
Whether or not cooks are operating the stove according to some manuals is
anybody's guess.

My point rather is, who cares? Ignoring CO emission rate - on which there
is no debate - and PM2.5 emission rate - whose utility is arguable, the one
thing you, Crispin, and others seem to be concerned about is thermodynamic
efficiency.

My view is, technical efficiencies are context-relevant metric; some users
may care for it more than others and some none at all. Rather, the "save
the trees", "reduce deforestation" mindset is what efficiency measurements
cater to. This is despite ample evidence that no tree lasts forever, nor
every tree as valuable to the owner as every other.  Trees are felled for
their products or for land clearance (for agriculture, buildings, roads,
pipelines, whatever else) and new trees can be and are planted all the
time. I have yet to see a single case where national forest inventory is
stabilized or increased by use of more efficient wood cookstoves.
(Charcoaling and heating markets are a different matter. I am not denying
that historically forest loss may be in part associated with fuel use; I
have seen forest denudation everywhere. Just that I see no reason to think
the stovers community has made an iota of difference yet - nor would make
any soon - in the rate of deforestation. Trees have multiple uses and so do
land, water and labor.)

In short,

a) I see no reason to care if WBT is unreliable about efficiency and fuel
savings. Has WBT use harmed anybody? I am still waiting for an answer.
b) There is, at least in the US, no legal basis for WBT or any other
testing protocol for cookstoves.
c)  Governments, investors, and users have no protection against abuse of
WBT or any other testing protocol by whoever claims to certify any of the
performance metrics. This authority belongs to national governments, not
academics and independent self-proclaimed experts, no matter how good or
relevant their intentions.

PCIA pulled a fast one on all stovers, anointing in the IWA an untested,
unproven, irrelevant method for "stove performance" without asking what
purpose was served by the metrics or the methods. You and others suggest
that WBT is at fault for wrongly computing efficiencies, while I argue that
choosing generally applicable ("international") metrics and methods is
untenable in the first place, without defining what the objective is. I
further argue that the WHO Target Emission Rates for PM2.5 have no
scientifically valid, empirically verified or verifiable basis.

The drama goes on. CDM and Gold Standard are abusing the process the same
way the stovers community has been for decades. What is it that desired,
and by whom? And whose desires are to be served in the first place -- of
the professors and activists or of users? Cookstove efficiency ratings
satisfy competitive designers - "Mine is better!" I don't see any other
justification for sticking with even the historical test records for
cookstoves where the tests have ignored local fuel qualities and operating
practices specific to those cookstoves.

Boil blood, not water. ISO TC 285, CDM and Gold Standard have to be
answerable, because their acts have direct financial implications. GACC, by
contrast, has no skin in the game. Spare them.

Nikhil