[Stoves] A proposal regarding WBT past and future

Cecil E Cook cec1863 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 21:37:54 CDT 2017

In so far as I understand Nikhil's proposal I see no harm in agreeing forth with to stop using the WBT - as an abstract specification based stove assessment methodology - to evaluate the performance of biomass burning stoves in kitchens, restaurants, schools, food processing enterprises, etc. The retirement of the WBT would be a giant step forward in the direction of a more user centered stove performance methodology which protects and privileges the culturally recognized and valued cooking, heating, agricultural, and other economically and environmentally valued functions of a appropriately contextualized stove performance assessment methodology.

Such a comprehensively contextualized stove performance assessment begins and ends with particular communities of stove users and therefore grows from the consciously recognized values, interests and needs of identifiable groups of stove users!! What does the stove mean to the end user and how are candidate stoves evaluated - by what criteria - when they are rated in terms of the performances of primary users?

The human health impacts of indoor and ambient air pollution and the social, economic and environmental impacts of greater and lesser combustion efficiency can of course be considered but they will typically be of secondary importance to the primary cooking, heating, and stove work preferences of the primary users of small "domestic" stoves.

Right now the movement to design, fabricate and distribute ever more efficient and lower emission small stoves - from the perspective of the carbon fearful residing in over developed countries - are viewed in somewhat self serving terms as being more virtuous stove technologies because they protect forests, improve respiratory health, and help to radically reduce the carbon footprint of human civilization on planet earth. It could be argued that the WBT is an instrument of oppressive top down expert driven globalization rather than an instrument of villager and poor people driven bottom up globalization!I

So I stand in the line forming behind Nikhil and Xavier which is how illiterate people in Swaziland vote for who will represent them in parliament. I am technologically illiterate but I know what kind of cooking and heating stoves make me happy and satisfied.