[Stoves] Kirk Smith: A challenge to the biomass stove community

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 22:57:56 CDT 2017

Crispin:

Health and disease are very different concepts. Public health folks deal
with health, medical professionals deal with disease. The two do not see
eye to eye; I suspect medical professionals do not even care to read the
research literature on public health. Medicos save actual lives, public
health folks make vague promises of avoiding statistical deaths.

That may explain the vacuity of PM2.5 premature mortality claims -- the
underlying data are spurious and so is the quantification. Remember Kirk
Smith -- attributable does not mean avoidable.

For example, GACC claim
<https://cleancookstoves.org/binary-data/RESOURCE/file/000/000/495-1.pdf> -
"If 5 million households in India transition to LPG, then nearly 19,000
deaths (including more than 500 children) could be averted annually"
(Progress Report December 2016) - is indefensible nonsense (except that
"could be" could be interpreted to acknowledge the fact that there is no
way "averted" deaths can be identified).

No medical doctor would find such assertions credible. We are all convinced
that efficiency is good, and lower emission rates of some pollutants are
good. The rest is "innocence and ignorance". Just because IHME's 700+
co-authors of GBD pass on HAP being a risk factor for premature mortality
and disability doesn't mean that their quantitative attributions are
sacrosanct.

Did you ever read a claim that quitting cigarette smoking prolonged an
ex-smoker's life by x years on average from 1990 to 2015? Or that all the
post-mature deaths of the 2015 cohort - some 2-3 million people who died
past the age of 86 - had no exposure to solid fuel emissions in their
lifetimes (going back to 1930s)?

Of course not. Other risk factors and inherent confounding in individual
bodies and their environments come in to cause disease or death, and some
deaths, even before age 86, are often inexplicable.

For certain geographies in India -- which now has a logistics network big
enough to serve the half a billion people with piped gas, electricity, and
LPG, and has a government ready to commit to LPG subsidies (don't take them
for granted, though) - the cost of delivering is low enough and the
benefits in reduced emission loads are high enough. (Kirk Smith has lived
through extreme air pollution in Delhi, and there are fairly reliable
indicators that solid fuel use - in and outside homes - is a major
contributor to ambient air pollution throughout northern India. Whether the
PM2.5 loads overall will be reduced and will show up in reduced disease
incidence remains to be seen. Past is not enough of a guide to the future.
India needs an overall urban air quality management strategy, along with
changes in physical planning and operations; not going to happen in my
lifetime.)

You object:

"Because of the high cost of doing so. (*** Depends. By eliminating phantom
LPG connections and liberalizing LPG supplies to commercial cooking,
subsidies have become more manageable. Still, oil products pricing in India
is a Kafkaesque tale that I stopped bothering with five years ago. The
government-owned oil companies have complex tax and subsidy regimes along
with government fixing all prices, including non-subsidized LPG. Go figure!
I am guessing that a new "LPG connection" at the rate of 142 kg per year
per household has a net burden on the exchequer of about $20 (based on
current price difference between non-subsidized and subsidized LPG cylinder
of 14.2 kg, roughly Rs. 100 or $1.5). ***

Because of the bloody inconvenience of trundling gas cylinders around.

*** Sure. When I was living close to a village, one of the workers in the
clinic took an afternoon off to take two LPG cylinders in the village to a
town nearby using a four-wheeler that runs a private taxi service. All
around that hilly area I saw four-wheeler vans for transporting people and
goods. In time, more people will be served by the retailers' trucks; I have
seen many in small and big towns, even some villages. Road access is
important. ***

Because public transport operators won’t allow it in their vehicles. ***
Depends on context. ***

Because there are better things to do with the money. *** Depends on
whether they value the cook's time in outdoor activities or the cook is
home-bound anyway but they can afford to hire a cook. ***

Because some people perceive it as a dangerous cooking system. *** It is.
Depends on their getting used to handling. ***

Because it creates unemployment throughout the entire biomass fuel chain.
*** I see no point whatsoever in keeping people occupied in
low-productivity, high drudgery employment. The whole biomass fuel chain is
in need of major technological advances, and I would readily support a
scheme for investing finance, knowledge, and equipment all over India to
modernize the biomass fuel chain. Just think -- charcoal can be produced
from acacia in rather arid land of Gujarat to sell at 5-7 USc/kg, 20 kg
package. But that doesn't mean ***

Because it uses up precious foreign exchange. *** Yeah, right. What makes
"foreign exchange" precious? What else is it going to be used for? (India
just signed major contracts for weapons and gas imports.) ***

Because it creates dependence on foreign suppliers of a commodity known to
be controlled and price-manipulated by a cartel that acts capriciously in
its own interest (globally, in June 2008, for example). *** Can be said
even of food imports. I don't think world users of oil products care much
about your conspiracy theories. They go on driving cars and planes, and
will keep on cooking with gas and electricity. ***

Because none of its technologies (carriage, distribution and combustion)
can be managed by locals in most countries – they are reduced to being mere
consumers of the products of others. *** Depends. All this changed in many
parts of the world, including South Africa and Mozambique, Kenya, Uganda,
Rwanda, Tanzania over the last 20 years. "Being mere consumers of the
products of others" is the essence of life - whether the products are holy
texts or guns or LPG cookstoves. *** "

The real objection ought to be that we haven't yet produced a class of
usable, marketable products and we don't know our customers nor have a
commercial intermediary. It is "we" who need to re-think, and leave fuel
fetishism of the behind. Just as there is nothing inherently bad about wood
or coal -- though there is about crop/tree waste and animal waste -- there
is nothing inherently precious about them either. Drop the religion of
"renewable biomass" and smell the coffee.

I do agree that "highest social value of LPG" is unknowable. Smith believes
his own models and ideology, but what matters more is that customers like
more LPG and that more customers like LPG, electricity, piped gas, even
kerosene. (I do not at all agree with WHO's campaign against kerosene even
for non-lighting uses. Smith's opposition to kerosene is immaterial. India
still consumes about 5 million tons of it, though subsidized quota has been
curtailed as LPG sales have grown. I happen to think this is a wrong idea;
kerosene still has a transitional role before LPG or electricity or some
"modern biomass cookstoves" take over.)

I also agree with you about chimney stoves. I have never seen any real data
in Smith's work --- or for that matter anybody else's -- about the use of
chimneys in the developing world. Sure, cold regions often have homes with
chimneys and I have heard of chimneys in old as well as new homes in
villages in Gujarat, Rajasthan, and Maharashtra, many of whom do have
fairly cold temperatures (night-time lows of 5-10 C). I have also seen and
heard from people how they use different kinds of wood for different
purposes -- cooking, heating outside, heating inside. There is simply no
evidence to support Smith's opposition to chimneys in all cases. It
requires blind faith in his PM2.5 models with very little "real data"
coming from consistent exposures.

Of course, "clear-combustion stoves or in lesser devices fitted with
chimneys" has been going on for decades. In the rural middle class if not
for the poorest.

It is this fashion of charity -- wanting to foist expensive woodstoves on
people who may want to add an extra room or might not even have a home or
secure food supplies -- that has kept us from recognizing the critical
importance of usability (which you and Cecil have confirmed) on the one
hand and marketability on the other.

Leave Smith's 2014 arguments aside. I don't think the ISO bandwagon is
going to do anything - unless Gold Standard Foundation comes up with
marketing $/tCO2e and $/aDALY drivel to Goldman Sachs and UN Foundation.
Buyers beware - snake oil is pretty.

Nikhil