[Stoves] Kyrgyzstan stove pilot - update on air quality.

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Fri Mar 24 10:30:57 CDT 2017

Dear Alex

That is spot on. The money savings is in two forms: reduction in consumption with a simultaneously higher service factor, plus a conversion to a lower cost fuel.

That is at root, the basic argument in favour of Dr AD’s sugar cane leaf charcoal powder making system.

So the benchmark is that regular Kara-Keche coal costs Som6.00 per kg, and the cheap small stuff costs 4.00. When we affect the fuel supply to such an extent that the small size attracts a premium (which is gonna take a while!) we will have shown a broad acceptance.

I suspect there is never equilibrium in the market. One effect that will disrupt the coal supplies will be a demand for a certain size of fuel. Just the same, dung may be traded in a different form. There are two forms now: ‘as collected’ meaning low density, and ‘trodden’ meaning plates of it picked up off the corral floor and stored as large plates about 1.5” thick. There may be a rise on the cost of the dense plate version because the Model 2.5 and 2.0 can burn it really well, completely to ash without adding wood as a co-fuel, something hitherto required for a decent fire.

The loss of sales of 2.5m tons of coal per year (4.6m tons of CO2) will not affect the viability of the mines, and I expect they will recoup some of the loss by processing the fuels to suit the demand. Pellets of raw coal would be best for low emissions and lowest cost.

In today’s seminar we discussed service factors, services expected from a stove, and how housing changes (funded by fuel savings) reduce the need for heat even further. It is a virtuous circle.

What will be the technology response on stoves side?

Or housing design and materials?

A general equilibrium model of perfectly connected markets in the offing?

Nikhil Desai
+91 909 995 2080
Skype: nikhildesai888