[Stoves] Fwd: Simplified TLUD design

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Fri May 5 09:36:13 CDT 2017

From: Jock Gill
Date: 4 May 2017 at 23:59
Subject: Simplified TLUD design
To: stoves-owner at lists.bioenergylists.org

Stovers,

I have just today started to explore a simplified TLUD design that is
new to me. Has this been done before? Is it a well known variant?

The bottom can is the only can. It only has primary air holes.

The object on top is a 4 inch stove pipe cap with a dozen holes
drilled in its top. The secondary air rises up through the gap between
the can and the cap. This forms a circular source of secondary air. It
also appears to create a circular flow of burning gases above the fuel
bed and below the cap.

In the photo above, the unit was suspended inside a 3 pound coffee
can. Makes for less constrained primary air flow.

Photos of flames emerging from the holes in the cap in a day or two.

Lots of work to optimize the variables.

When placed inside my big green egg, a wind free environment, there
were long periods of blue tipped flames coming up through the holes in
the cap.  The size of the holes in the cap appears to be an important
variable.

Not sure of the utility of this approach, but it's interesting and
possibly in time a good use for this approach will be discovered.

Of course larger stove pipe caps will allow working with larger cans.
So this is expected to be a scalable design.

BTW: after several adjustments, the third run produced some very nice biochar.

Please feel free to explore this approach as you see fit. Please share
any thing you learn/discover.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Good stoving,

Jock