[Stoves] How to make smokeless coal?

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Thu May 25 07:07:29 CDT 2017

On 25 May 2017 at 2:41, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:

> Dear Neil
>
> The coking of coal was one going for a very long time, certainly
> 2000 years in some countries.

For metalworking?

> The interesting thing I read recently
> was that there were a couple of patents issued around 1700 (before
> and after) relating to the production of a much higher % of the
> initial mass. I am looking for them.

I think smelting iron with coal coke had been a goal of other
ironfounders for some time, but none had become successful.  I seem to
recall that it was an employee of the Derby's who discovered what worked.
Barrie Trinder is the historian to look up for that story.  I'll look
again in his 'The Industrial Revolution in Shropshire' when I have time
and email you privately if I find what I'm remembering.

> Question for you: can you ask around some old-timers and find out
> where the expression "Scotch method" comes from when referring to
> lighting a fire on top in order to reduce smoke? This name arrived
> in Southern Africa with people from Europe more than 100 years ago,
> 120 at least. But where did it originate?

That's an interesting lead on the mystery of the 'upside down fire'.  I
don't know any Scottish old timers personally, but I do know a Scot who
might, so I will ask.  Scotland of course has historic links with Norway
where Paal Wendelbo encountered this, so this knowledge might have
travelled across the North sea.  Unfortunately the term 'Scotch method'
is unlikely to have had much if any currency in Scotland, and be a term
coined in SA.  I lived in Manchester for 13 years, but on visiting Sydney
kept seeing shops selling household goods and 'Manchester'.  It took a
while for it to dawn on me that Manchester was cotton of course, and
Australian's collective noun for cotton goods.  But if I describe what we
are looking for, more than emphasising its SA name you never know.

Best wishes,   Neil Taylor