[Stoves] ***SPAM*** Re: [Stoves Digest, Vol 81, Issue 21] Another attack on solid fuels by public health adventurers

Roger Samson rogerenroute at yahoo.ca
Fri May 26 15:56:00 CDT 2017

Hi Karin

Many of us on this list come from a  renewable energy and development background and find large scale subsidization of fossil fuels problematic. I have worked 20 years in developing countries on poverty issues. Most poor people will buy advanced cooking stoves and fuels on their own if they perceive they need it as they find the money.

I can see perhaps in the very  worst of situations of large urban air quality situations it might make sense but when its such a low priority need ranking of the poor and cultivates dependency.... it's a fools game subsidizing the extractive energy industry. The poor could use that same donor cash for more urgent needs like food security and health care or even livelihood projects that could make them more financially independent.

Why don't you do a more comprehensive study that compares human well being changes where the poor get to choose between fossil fuel cooking subsidies vs their other priority needs and monitor health and well being impacts over a longer period.

With how fast solar power prices are coming down about 20%/yr it seems to me that the lifecycle cooking costs of electric cooking with well insulated pots will become increasingly attractive fo urban areas in the next 3-5 years. Why not spend the money on piloting electric cooking strategies with integrated heat retention devices to minimize energy demands.

I think we can make progress on urban air quality issues but that subsidizing fossil fuel cooking systems is a low sustainability strategy to address the problem.

best regards

Roger Samson