[Stoves] Response to Ron (about Leaping)- role of stove anthropologists in empowering stove users/producers to form & ask own questions

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat May 27 13:41:49 CDT 2017

Dear Ron

There are dozens of stove-related questionaires. They are develop when we have a solid understanding of how the community functions and what the needs, risks and benefits are.

Cecil has a set of principles which guide his investigations. That is how anthropologists work. Once he has comprehensively understood the context, he writes a report. That report is used, usually by sociologists and technologists and program designers, to develop a questionnaire which can be applied to the general population in the target region.

Until the community is understood, there isn't much point in drafting a questionnaire because one can only ask questions ‎related to what one understands are 'issues'.

It is during the initial unrestricted investigation when one finds out about such things as why the floor under a Mongolian ger stove is kept very clean, or that the legs of a Kyrgyz heating stove must be tall enough for the cat to rest comfortably.

We don't learn much about a society by making assumptions that 'they are pretty much like everyone else.'

‎Close as they are, Thais and Indonesians don't much appreciate how the other cooks rice, nor what it is cooked in and the firepower used. A generic 'rice cooker' has only culturally limited market.  After all, whose culture is 'generic'?

Cecil, list,  Crispin:

My conclusion on whether any stove-related questionnaires or reports by you are available is:  “No”.

Ron