[Stoves] Another attack on solid fuels by public health Stoves Digest, Vol 81, Issue 19

Philip Lloyd plloyd at mweb.co.za
Wed May 31 04:57:17 CDT 2017

But no clarity on what BC actually is?

From: Stoves [mailto:stoves-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org] On Behalf Of
Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 7:49 AM
To: Discussion of biomass cooking stoves
Subject: Re: [Stoves] Another attack on solid fuels by public health Stoves
Digest, Vol 81, Issue 19

Dear Karin, Verena and All

I appreciate the explanations.

I have just emerged from the Black Carbon Summit organised by the Polish
Government, ICCI, CCAC and the GACC in Warsaw. One of the major outcomes was
a clear picture of the change that, while mostly in the mind, has its roots
in the performance of advanced stoves: there is a decoupling of emissions
from fuel type.

Fuels have chemistry, and stoves have  combustion efficiencies. The former
leads to ‘inherent emissions’ and the latter leads to ‘combustion
emissions’. Black Carbon is not an inherent emission.

The concept of a ‘clean fuel’ is, without doubt, rooted in the assumption
that combustion emissions are in fact inherent emissions. This is a
conceptual error.

There was a presentation on advances in coal combustion (it was a conference
on small coal and wood fire heating stoves) using state of the art in
Poland. The emissions of PM2.5 (which are combustion emissions and the
lofting of particles of fly ash) were reduced to 4-5 mg per cu metre (O2
normalised to 6%) by the combination of their fifth tier boilers and the
addition of a 1 kW electrostatic precipitator.

Testing at the China Agriculture University by Altanzul has shown that the
TJ4.0 stove (which is two models behind the current one) has emissions in
approximately that same range. This was achieved without electric controls,
fans or stack cleaning. In short, there is no meaningful relationship
between the fuel type (wood, as demonstrated by the Austrians and by the
Masonry Heaters in the US or coal as demonstrated in Kyrgyzstan and
Tajikistan this winter) and PM emissions. In the case of the Austrian and
Americans, the standard (20mg) was met without electronic controls or stack
cleaning.

Thus the concept incorporated in the thesis of the paper of ‘people moving
to clean fuels’ is mistaken. They already use ‘fuels’ which if burned
properly, produce very clean results, as much as 75% below the highest EU
standard for air quality.

I agree that there is a war on solid fuels but as we heard in Warsaw, this
is not limited to solid fuels only. For about 18 years now there has also
been a war on paraffin (kerosene) waged on the basis that ‘it is burned
badly in lighting appliances in India’ as if that somehow defined properties
of the fuel.

Believe me, kerosene is still on the hit list of the WHO. It is classified
as a ‘dirty fuel’ in spite of being the most widely used energy carrier for
modern aviation. Ultra-low emissions kerosene appliances like aircraft, FLOX
burners and stoves are ignored while 19th century wick lamps are held up not
to illuminate the subject, but to cloud the issue.

I realise it is very fashionable in some circles to promote subsidised LPG.
It would be far more effective far sooner and far cheaper in the long run to
promote cleaning burning appliances than to subsidise LPG for the next few
decades through its expensive, regulation-ensconced and inevitably long
supply chain.

If we want transformation at scale, it is far easier to move a stove for a
day than fuel for a lifetime.

Crispin

Dear Karin
Thanks for the exchange.
The gasifier solution is a true option and very promising. Even wood burning
stoves are progressing, e.g. Rocket works stoves et al. I would love to see
us not excluding solutions and always thinking in alternative options to
choose from.
I would love to see who/paho also opening eyes for those alternatives.

However
I also hope you can disclose the funding background of the study
/publication.

Thank you
Verena

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet