[Stoves] Fine Particulates from a Selection of Cookstoves

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed May 31 23:28:11 CDT 2017

Stovers,

I previously asked:
On 5/31/2017 11:22 AM, Paul Anderson wrote:

>> 11 fuel-stove combinations covering a variety of fuels and different
>> stoves are investigated for UFP emissions and PNSD.
> I am interested in knowing if those 11 included what I consider to be
> the better versions of TLUD stoves, both natural draft and forced air.

I have now seen the article, and provide comments ABOUT THE STOVES
SELECTED.   This is NOT about the quality of measurements, etc.

1.  For purposes of review comments, I am allowed to provide some
selected information from  the publication:

**********************************
Of interest (to me) are numbers 4, 6, 10, and 11.
  #4.  Stove Tec Prototype.  Lousy choice to be representing TLUD-FA
stoves.  This is old by TLUD standards.
It was tested years ago with great results.   Only one unit ever made,
as far as I know..

#6.  Belonio TLUD-FA (or FD) with rice husk fuel.  Poor choice. Again,
an older stove that did not go into
[much] production, and using a non-woody fuel when all other comparisons
of solid fuels are wood.

#10.  Although Philips, it is a rocket stove, and not of main interest.
#12.   The Philips high-turbulance fan-jet stove.   This is NOT designed
for nor used in TLUD fashion.

Net result:  This research tells us information that is of very little
use and is not representative of the state of
the art of TLUD stoves, whether FA or ND.

***************************************
Crispin also guided me to another study by essentially the same group:
"Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Fine Particulate Matter Emitted
from Burning Kerosene, Liquid Petroleum Gas, and Wood Fuels in
Household Cookstoves"
Guofeng Shen,† William Preston,‡ Seth M. Ebersviller,§ Craig Williams,‡
Jerroll W. Faircloth,∥
James J. Jetter,*,⊥ and Michael D. Hays⊥

The solid-fuel (wood) stoves in this study were
"(iii) wood (10 and 30% moisture content on a wet basis) in a
forced-draft fan stove, and (iv) wood
in a natural-draft rocket cookstove."

Rockets did not do well (and not an issue with me).   But the
"forced-draft fan stove" that also was not optimal is
of interest to me.   What TLUD-FA stove did they choose?   An "Eco-chula
XXL" which is seen at:
http://www.ecochula.co.in/xxl.html

I my opinion, that was a terrible choice, (large diameter gives worse
emissions, and is not representative of household cooking) and therefore
the TLUD-FA  results of this study are not representative.   From the
TLUD perspective, this study only contributed to the PERCEPTION
(erroneous in my opinion) that TLUD-FA stoves are not very good.

The Mimi Moto TLUD-FA has been available since 2015.   That would have
been a much better choice.
And certainly the Champion TLUD-ND  (available since about 2008) is the
best choice for that category stove, but is never included.

FYI, Except for the BEIA project in Uganda with the Mwoto TLUD-ND, I
have never been asked about what TLUD stoves might best be include in
testing or in research projects.    Never.      Not by EPA or CSU or
Aprovecho or Berkeley or D-Lab or anyone else.