[Stoves] How Can Blockchain Technology Help Fight Air Pollution

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 16:33:15 CDT 2017

Darpan:

Composition and ingestion profile of PM2.5 matter.

Even then, there are serious policy issues for regulation of natural and
anthropogenic PM2.5 emission sources by location and by wind patterns.

And of course, doubts about associational evidence drummed up by rather
dubious lumping of non-comparable studies. In India, just look up Sarath
Guttikunda source apportionment studies for several cities, some of them
more than once. Not all PM2.5 are captured by the current air quality
monitoring stations nor by the current continuous emission monitoring
stations.

That said, there is a significant hope that data collection via Blockchain
could wreak a havoc with the current theology of so-called "public
health".  Instead of cooking up deaths and disease out of air - pardon the
pun - EPA, WHO, IHME may have to deal with real concentration data. Disease
data and emission data would be another issue; I think Kirk Smith pointed
out about a year ago that urban air quality improvements in China are more
likely to come from the residential and small user sector rather than from
coal-fired power plants.

I am paraphrasing what I remember, but this has profound implications for
regulatory philosophy and market potential for clean coal combustion
technologies that can be mass-implemented within five years for tens of
millions of users worldwide. There is always electricity and gas, but
China, South and Central Asia -- wherever there is a significant heating
demand in households, commercial and small industrial sectors - are all
ready for a technological revolution for solid fuels, including coal.

To be anti-coal and ignoring this market potential "to clean the available"
(as Kirk Smith might put it) is to be anti-poor. This is why I call "clean
fuels" essentially an elitist, even a neo-imperial, bandwagon.

Nikhil