[Stoves] Air pollution in cities

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Wed Nov 22 13:09:50 CST 2017

Crispin,

Thanks for your comments. The agricultural science that we have seen is done at a high level. It is also done in collaboration with expert institutions around the world. In just our limited view we are interacting with a large department of soil and crop scientists at a “key university” for biochar. They are collaborating with some large corporations. They have really been innovative compared to how others around the world are thinking about the conversion and use of biochar. The people we are working with have been at it for at least 10 years, so it hasn’t happened overnight.

The business model is unique and there clearly are subsidies. There are multiple objectives, but a main driver is to reduce the open field burning. Improving soil health, reducing effects of pollution, increasing yield and sequestering carbon are other targets. There are many local challenges to deal with, like arsenic and cadmium.    National, county, and local governments are involved organizing supporting policy and funding businesses.

They are moving very quickly to scale. The scale is not surprising. You can get to the current stated capacities with only 25 plants each processing 30,000 tons of residue per year at about 4 tons per hour. They have engineered one processing scheme and have cloned it. Meanwhile they are working on incremental improvements. Whether each plant is actually producing 8,000 hours per year may be debatable but that’s also true of our small North American biomass plants. Field testing in300 locations is impressive. There is a whole educational program at each level.

I haven’t seen their pelleting operations, but I have seen other stationary systems with Chinese equipment and know their typical limitations. The pellets are not very dense which should offset some of the wear issues associated with crop residues.

This is still evolving. It will be interesting to see where they are in a year’s time.

Tom