[Stoves] Support Potential Energy (my organization) this Giving Tuesday!

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 12:25:34 CST 2017

Crispin:

Hah. So it takes some PhDs to find that people collect wood to sell.

You confirm my rebuttable presumption that "An academic is someone who
wouldn't testify to a murder even if it happened in front of him and was
filmed by reporters, shown on media, until there was a peer-reviewed
journal that published the findings."

I suppose next someone will discover that rapes in Haitian camps after the
2010 earthquake were reduced not just by the availability of solar
lanterns, the only form of lighting among the poorest (and could help
identify the rapist) but by improved stoves.

This is the same jiggery-pokery as we have seen all around --
attributability doesn't mean causality, nor does it mean that attributable
is avoidable by just that particular risk factor.

All things considered, there should be a significant, large-scale funding
program for contextual design and promotion of clean biomass stoves,
period. My sense is that grassroot organizations with considerable
experience - and technical designers on this list - are starved for
operating funds even when they have found marketable, usable stoves that
may not have this or that ISO certificate from ARC or anybody else. That is
where money needs to move, not to Washington, DC and Geneva.

I hope some serious academics take on this task of ethnography of academics
-- inventing claims instead of inventing solutions. Stoves matter because
foods matter, and local environments matter. Cooks matter - for nutrition
and satiation. Modelers can keep frying their snake-skins as a traditional
expression goes.

Nikhil