[Stoves] Radical ideas from Paul and Philip {re: stoves and credits again}

Jock Gill jock at jockgill.com
Mon Oct 2 13:09:17 CDT 2017

Nikhil,

I would agree that stoves are part of a much larger system.  Key parts of the system are emotional qualities:  Does the stove make the cook happier with his or  her kitchen?  Does it reflect well on him or her?  Does the stove give the cook a sense that they are able to cook better because of the new stove, a better tool?  Consider, if you will, how much time and money is spent on kitchen designers to give the the cook the best possible kitchen experience - to also add the greatest amount of value to the home.  If this is good enough for the goose, it better be good enough for the gander, no matter where they are or their economic status.

Another  metric for certainly any charcoal producing stove is its ability to support drawdown efficiently.  This leads to the suggestions below.  I rarely see mention of this essential function of a polytechnic device.

A metric I rarely see is how efficient is the system at capturing the carbon present in the biomass.  I suggest that this target should be 50%  of the carbon, or 25% of the weight of the initial feedstock.  This has to be very high quality Biochar that is clean and not full of residues.  If we do not measure this, it more or less puts the lie to any claims that the biochar is worth making because it has so many direct and indirect benefits - not limited to drawdown and regenerative agriculture. I note that this 25% is only for natural draft TLUDS. Fan assisted TLUDS, such as several in Asia, should have a higher goal, perhaps 30% of the weight of the feedstock, or 60% of the carbon in the feed stock.  I have seen reports from Viet Nam of 30% as a reality. Again,  if  carbon is too valuable to waste, it is too valuable to burn up in a poorly design TLUD.

Note:  For many years of making tin can TLUDs with more or less central apertures, I thought the upper limit of clean carbon capture was about 20%.  I now find that by covering 85% of the pyrolysis surface with a steel disk, insulating the reactor chamber, and tightly controlling the primary air, I can get 25% of the weight of the feedstock (50% of the carbon).  Starting with 450 grams of wood pellets, this is an increase of 28% - from 90 grams of charcoal to 115 grams.  This is a significant gain of 25 grams.  Why waste 25 grams of carbon by burning it up in a poorly designed unit?  See attached photos.

All of which is to say that a proper and inclusive  set of metrics will result in a well balanced device.

Regards,

Jock

Jock Gill
P. O. Box 3
Peacham, VT 05862

Cell: (617) 449-8111

Extract CO2 from the atmosphere!

36 holes made with a 3/32 inch bit (2.2 - 2.4 mm bit).

The gap for the gases is about 5mm.