[Stoves] Radical ideas from Paul and Philip {re: stoves and credits again}

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Oct 2 15:56:45 CDT 2017

Dear Jock

Thanks for the photos.

>>It would be interesting to compare the delivered cost of LPG energy per MJ in the pot with charcoal. In both cases production inefficiencies would be ignored as they are large and only really matter if it affects the price.

>How would one account for, just like in the charcoal trade, the 'hidden' costs of corruption associated with LPG gas<http://www.nation.co.ke/news/1056-3459012-5fyba5z/index.html>. Would they be less or more and/or differently distributed then in the current charcoal market?

 I see a fundamental difference in the two trades. In the case of biomass products anyone and everyone can participate if they have access to biomass, not even 'land'. Just the input.

LPG is very tied to large corporations that are able, at the drop of a hat as happened in June 2008, to cut off the entire global supply and demand, five weeks later, a massive price increase you think OPEC has power? They have nothing next to the de facto monopoly ‎in LPG.

The 'corruptions' ‎in the charcoal industry are, perhaps surprisingly, concentrated in the people who are able to ban the trade not those who promote it. When something is prohibited it is far easier to execute a monopoly in a trading space. I again hold up Chad as the clear example of what happens if it is legalised and controlled by the communities in which the resource is produced. It was made illegal because the old charcoal mafias were unable to control the price and supply.

>>he charcoal truck can take goods to the rural areas on the return trip.

>And dhows can bring consumer goods etc back from the middle east.

Good point. That is an efficiency.

>Who represents 'Big Charcoal'? *crickets* chirping....the last guy <https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Expectations-Charcoal-Njenga-Karume/dp/9966257411> seems to have moved on.

I was thinking more of guys like Henry Ford who started huge formal sector charcoal operations. There are similar big scale producers in South Africa and Nigeria that export to the EU. Because 'anyone' can get into the business relatively easily producers, even large ones, are exposed to risks in the market.

For example for each of the fires in Colorado and California there should arise an entrepreneur that gets permission to remove dead trees and make charcoal out of them. That happens in Kwa-Zulu Natal (etc).

Never let a disaster go to waste. Make charcoal.