[Stoves] About LPG and India and biomass stoves

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 3 10:11:56 CDT 2017

Stovers,

The following arrived directly from Kirk Smith (sent before I sent my
was as if it were an answer to my message.   Smith wrote:

As people requested, I posed the same challenge to the biomass stove
community this year as I did to the LPG community in 2014.   See attached.

Any progress on this?  See you at the Forum/k

p.s. Remember of course that India is not Africa.  What is working here
may be many decades away in Africa, perhaps allowing time for large
scale dissemination of viable biomass stoves.  Or not, unless the
community gets its act together.

Here is the closing paragraph of the attachment:

> Thus, I end by posing to the biomass stove community the same
> challenge posed once to the Indian LPG community. It is not enough
> just to have a cleaner cooking technology sitting in the shop, what is
> needed is to find an effective way to promote and provide these clean
> and efficient products to the 25 million households who will still need
> them in 2025. The biomass stove industry is going to have to think
> well beyond the technology itself, to how to disseminate at the scale
> needed and promote consistent usage over time and reduce use of
> traditional
> methods. In the places needed. To the women who need it.

This is WONDERFUL!!!   I will be responding in  great detail directly to
Dr. Smith and via  the Stoves Listserv for all who are interested.  I
start briefly now:

1. The start of my response appeared a year ago (Sept 2016) when the
Case Study of TLUD stoves in Deganga was placed on the Internet.
www.drtlud.com/deganga2016    Written in June 2016, its data now is
nearly 1.5 years old.   And things are happening in that year and a
half.   But please start with the Deganga Case Study.

2. At the GACC Forum this month there is a presentation Tuesday PM about
India stove activities, including as a presenter Mr. Moulindu Banerjee,
the key implementaion partner in the Deganga efforts and subsequent
work.   And at 7:30 AM on Wednesday I am leading a discussion about TLUD
issues and accomplishments and potential.     Expect to learn about:

A. Accepted success of the Deganga project as a pilot study with 11,000
TLUD stoves.

B. Expansion into projects on-going now with approximately 3000 new
stoves PER MONTH.  The limits on the number of stoves are mainly
financial regarding the overall project size.  Industrial capacity for
stove production is plentiful in India.

C. Adoption (that is, acceptance) of the stoves is between 50% and 70%
of all of the households in the communities to which the sales offer is
made.  The populations are mainly rural poor and peri-urban working
poor.  There is no shortage of potential users / adopters.

D. The consistent and continual daily usage of these stoves is
DOCUMENTED as part of the requirements for the carbon credit funding.
This is ongoing for about 5 years in the Deganga households. These
stoves in West Bengal are the "Champion TLUD" that has been manufactured
since 2008.  They are TLUD-ND (natural draft) stoves.

E. Additoinal projects fpr 25,000 TLUD stoves each are signed or are in
the process of being signed.   Please respect that some implementation
information is considered confidential and propriety for business
purposes.  These are NOT charity projects, but they are conducted
largely by Not-For-Profit entities and humanitarians that do maintain
budgets to assure sustaianability.

3. Yes, these stoves are very clean burning.  Not perfect, but they are
micro-gasifiers, not some simple ICS stoves.   They are among the
"MACCS" (Modern Advanced Clean Cooking Solutions).  Who says so? Well,
the GACC and ESMAP jointly published in 2015 a classification system,
which I have expanded and reorgnized for clarity of message.    If you
do a Google search for       stove classification     the 4th and 5th
items down both lead to my documents

https://woodgas.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Stove-Classification-1-page-2017-04-11.pdf

http://www.drtlud.com/?resource=prt17301 (which also links to a 4-page
version)

4. For even superior cleanliness of emissions, the TLUD stoves can be
with  forced air (or fan assistance).   TLUD-FA stoves will be FEATURED
at the GACC Forum.   See them Tuesday evening at the reception and
"lighting of the stoves."  The latest from  Mimi-Moto TLUD-FA and from
Lello's FAABulous stove  (TLUD-FAAB) will be seen, plus more.

[ Important note:   The TLUD stoves do NOT include the "fan jet" high
turbulance stoves such as the Philips or ACE or Biolite stoves. ]

I am trying to have everything in  order for the Forum, with
announcements posted to the Stoves Listserv before or during that event.

************

Therefore, based on  the above, I totally welcome Kirk Smith's challenge
that biomass stove developers

> have to think
> well beyond the technology itself, to how to disseminate at the scale
> needed and promote consistent usage over time and reduce use of
> traditional
> methods.
  Soon I will present

a. more supporting evidence,

b. calling attention to fuel supply chain issues,

c. dissemination at needed scale, and

d. the financial arrangements already proven and others "in the  works"
to accomplish the task.

Of course, all other Stovers are welcome to respond to Kirk Smith's
challenge.   They are also very welcome to participate in the TLUD efforts.

OBJECTIVE: To provide the information so that Dr. Smith and others can
realize that at least one set of biomass cookstoves, (the TLUD
micro-gasifiers), can meet and exceed the challenge.   25 million TLUD
stoves for India is a nice target.   Opportunities in other countries
are certainly also present.

Paul

Doc  /  Dr TLUD  /  Prof. Paul S. Anderson, PhD

Email:psanders at ilstu.edu <mailto:psanders at ilstu.edu>

Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072

Website:www.drtlud.com <http://www.drtlud.com>

Kirk R. Smith, MPH, PhD

Professor of Global Environmental Heath

School of Public Health, University of California Berkeley

http://www.kirkrsmith.org/

Collaborative Clean Air Policy Centre, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi

http://ccapc.org.in/

Indian cell number: (91) 99-5873-8713

  Below is the announcement about:   (Looks like a serious step forward!!! )

Collaborative Clean Air Policy Centre, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi

http://ccapc.org.in/

  Collaborative Clean Air Policy Centre: Coming Soon!

*The Collaborative Clean Air Policy Centre explores, evaluates, and
compares policy options for dealing with India’s health-damaging air
pollution problems of all types, including  ambient and household.  It
provides a platform for institutions working on air pollution issues to
work together to solve problems and recommend policy and works to
develop capacity to address the policy implications of air pollution in
the country.

It is governed by a steering committee formed of representative from
four institutions:*

  * *Center of Excellence in Science, Technology, and Public Policy,
    Indian Institute of Technology Delhi <http://www.iitd.ac.in>
  * School of Public Health, University of California Berkeley
    <http://sph.berkeley.edu/>
  * Sri Ramachandra University Chennai <http://www.sriramachandra.edu.in>
  * The Energy and Resource Institute Delhi <http://teriin.org>
    *

*UrbanEmissions.Info <http://urbanemissions.info> is the Centre's
Knowledge Partner*.

©2017 Collaborative Clean Air Policy Centre