[Stoves] GACC promises and premises: looking back to 2010

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 14:30:12 CDT 2017

Tom:

Thank you. If I don't write a thorough piece, it won't go to anybody.

My writings and my chats belong to different universes. Let me begin a
conversation, though and see if you or anybody else has a disagreement in
principle. Our policy choices may differ and we may disagree on how I say
something rather than that I say anything at all.

If you recall, I became a fan of GACC CEO back in February. I may not like
some approaches and don't  have factual material in terms of contract
reports, annual reports, so I have to go by news items and intuition. My
intuition is that a) she was given an impossible script by her predecessor,
who in turn was following a script by State and EPA, in particular Jacob
Moss and Susan Annenberg; b) it is in the nature of charity business such
as UN Foundation to market false promises based on false premises, and the
enthusiasm back in 2009-10 was so great, there were bound to be mistakes
and failures.

Washington, with all its facades and fibs, runs on certain transparency and
honesty, even now. Rather, I cannot give up on the hope that some of the
time.

Yes, there are positive contributions - to me, the most positive is simply
"awareness raising". (I am not being sarcastic. I made fun of dinners at
the Imperial Hotel or White House South Lawn. But I know that is how
Washington or New Delhi do business. I cannot suffer them, but hats off to
GACC to playing that game.)

I will say that some alleys GACC started on are dead-end -- DfID may not
like my assertion about the "Evidence Base" project, whose results we don't
know yet, but who knows, it may open up avenues of another kind of search.

And I also don't think the TC-285 bandwagon will go anywhere or that public
donors should do bulk procurement of cookstoves without regard to cooks,
fuels, and contexts;  "international standards" for efficiency and PM2.5
emission rates is also a dead-end alley.

UN Foundation was a bad choice for hosting GACC, but understandable due to
Mrs. Clinton's support and the State/EPA history.

If GACC did not directly provide money for, and oversight for, better solid
fuel stoves, that is one negative. So is UNF interference with energy and
health related SDGs. So moving GACC out is an idea worth tabling. It might
even allow for different procurement and reporting procedures.

Moving from cookstoves to fuels and foods is another thought, though I am
sure many people on this list would disagree, and organizing a program on a
broader set of problems will be even more difficult. Still, how about the
principle of considering foods and fuels - and biochar for agricultural
productivity or fuel markets - over the long term?

Because, if we agree on "Healthier Human Environments" , they are not just
about smoke sources but about foods. I happen to suspect that mal- and
under-nutrition have not only life-long consequences but inter-generational
consequences.

If you are with me so far, please suggest other "positives". I think it's a
time to go past the reductionist view of stoves as smoke devices, though I
would also readily concede that material and design break-throughs must be
worked on to deliver a clean enough cooking energy system to please the
cook.

You'd never know that pleasing sisters is my life-long passion, would you?
:-)

Nikhil