[Stoves] benefits from reduced indoor air pollution.

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 04:55:15 CDT 2017

On 16 October 2017 at 09:29, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

>>...but wood is already partially oxidised so the adiabatic flame temperature is only around 1600C and I seldom see more than 1100C .
>
> There is Oxygen in the fuel, but it is mostly used to burn the hydrogen, not the carbon. In biomass there is enough O to burn all the H, save a tiny bit, and leave 100% of the carbon (in theory).  That makes it possible to blow on the fuel and get a carbon fire well above the temperature "normally" seen.

We've had this argument before: The oxygen in the wood is already
bonded to hydrogen and carbon, true it is not in it's lowest energy
state but it's close. So the oxygen in wood does not significantly
contribute at all. We can deduce this from simple things , like the
fact that pyrolysis is only slightly exothermic from around 300C up to
440C

Andrew