[Stoves] benefits from reduced indoor air pollution.

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Oct 16 18:31:42 CDT 2017

>>" By the way that group is modeling combustion of fuels and particle formation using a very nice computer: 2.5 peta-flops; $100m. The simulation takes three days to run. I think I need a new laptop."

>Wow. That beats doing the stoichiometry long hand. At least long hand ‎reminds you of the chemistry involved.

I was told that this machine, which I was allowed to photograph, is the third fastest in the world. It has a display made of edgeless LCD screens about 4 x 10 metres high on which enormous visualizations are displayed in real time.

It produces measurement graphs in real time with simulations overlain so the correlation can be seen visually. That is exactly what we need to have to show the outputs of the Decombustion Theory calculations of what occurs during the inhomogeneous decomposition of solid fuels. That was the main topic of the presentation. Fortunately the calculation of that is not taxing if given a set of measurements.

The only chart produced so far using 'the basic idea' contained in the Decombustion Theory was by SUNY Buffalo last year which produced a real time efficiency curve for a pellet burning furnace. The main take away from that is that the EPA rating of wood stove efficiency is high by about 25% of value (so they said). I didn't check their calculations because they didn't use the formula, only a stand-in estimate. (I hadn't shown the formula by that time.)

The initial hope is that the Academy, that institute of it, will add this to their model to calculate the LHV and effective fuel moisture in real time. From that, many real time calculations flow. I think it is the (early) deathknell for the carbon balance method when it comes to the analysis of solid fuel combustion.