[Stoves] Inyenyeri's business model in Rwanda

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 17:31:36 CDT 2017

Teddy:

I posted on Inyenyeri on 12th September under the subject line Carbon
offsets and charcoal (Re: Crispin on Rwanda). An extract below, quoting
myself (!):

Inyenyeri <https://www.inyenyeri.org/> in Rwanda is another example. They
combine pellet-making in return for their stoves, and the feedstock
suppliers can sell these to urban and peri-urban customers. They won one of
the two advanced ERPA (Emission Reductions Purchase Agreement) under World
Bank-administered Ci-Dev. (Inyenyeri Signs Landmark Deal with World Bank to
Scale Renewable Energy Company in Rwanda
<http://www.newtimes.co.rw/section/read/214095/> The New Times, Kigali 12
June 2017) Another Rwanda company, Del Aqua <http://www.delagua.org/>, is
getting a similar advance for "gasifying" stoves (along with advanced water
filters). With other projects using biodigesters, it seems that pro-poor
energy technology finance is now available for innovative businesses.

Some of these Ci-Dev projects <http://carbon-pulse.com/14911/> is done
under a CDM POA (Program of Activities), which is a promising route.  It is
also encouraging to read that among the donors to Ci-Dev, "The UK is going
to retire any CERs received, while the others use them to meet national
emissions targets." (What a shame, Sweden and Switzerland.)

I can send you that whole post separately; some other impressions of mine
on Rwanda tree resource were corrected by a friend.

Back over a decade ago, I was the first to request GEF funds for "improved
biomass stoves" in on a combined "renewable energy" and "energy efficiency"
themes anywhere. I think the request was approved, but I didn't continue to
work there.

Nikhil