[Stoves] News (CCF 2017): Blame the rural poor for Delhi's ills

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 13:18:36 CDT 2017

Crispin:

Slow in praise, please.

According to GACC yesterday
<http://cleancookstoves.org/about/news/10-26-2017-rural-cooking-smoke-is-making-delhi-air-pollution-worse.html>
,

 "One of the most surprising sources of Delhi's air pollution is the smoke
coming from the millions of cooking and space heating fires outside of the
city limits," said Dr. Sarath Guttikunda, Director of UrbanEmissions.
"Urban areas such as Delhi cannot solve their air pollution issues without
first addressing the issue of cooking, space heating, and household air
pollution in the households beyond that surround them."

I don't know about "first". That's a bit like saying Delhi cannot stop
putting its sewage and sludge in the Yamuna (The World’s Next Environmental
Disaster
<https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-worlds-next-environmental-disaster-1508511743>,
WSJ 20 October 2017) without first stopping upstream water pollution and
diversions that reduce the river's ability to act as the gutter.

Besides, who has to "go first" about "addressing the issue"? The central
Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas and the Ministry of Finance are
expanding LPG distribution in rural areas, and those closer to cities may
well get saturated in three years (unless LPG prices are increased, without
increasing the subsidy payments).

CCF 2017 might well be the swan song for GACC. I don't know when again Dr
Guttikunda would get to present his research and opinions at a global GACC
event. He know well that knowing about air pollution is not enough. Why, as
of two  years ago, India didn't even have emission standards for coal-fired
power plants. Setting "international standards" for PM2.5 in mg per MJd is
a waste of time. .

Nikhil