[Stoves] Webinar 29th and 30th Aug - Gold Standard’s Methodology for Averted Disability Adjusted Life Years (ADALYs) from Cleaner Household Air

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 15:40:01 CDT 2017

Ron, Anil, List:

I remembered this e-mail of mine to Gold Standard folks Abhishek Goyal and
Vikash Talyan a couple of weeks ago. I had mentioned a webinar a couple of
times and posed some questions. They were kind to reply in followup text.

The whole Q&A on the webinar may be on their website. My questions and
their answers at the bottom of this e-mail.

Before that, my response to Gold Standard.  I happen to think there are
serious reputational risks all around - including to Gold Standard itself,
since its work crucially depends on credibility, not just academic modeling
(though Ajay Pillarisetti and his co-authors are amply cautious about the
utterly untenable assumptions behind the HAPIT model).

The more I dig in hope that there is something somewhere, I come empty.
There is no there there. Even Goldman Sachs and C-Quest Capital ought to
rethink how many people they can fool how long. [Disclosure: I happen to
have been "present at the creation" - back in mid-1990s, before Kyoto, when
GHG/CO2 reduction certificates were being discussed in Washington DC. I
don't remember if Chatham House rules applied, so I won't name names. Those
who were present there would remember me.)

I have more detailed critique of the Gold Standard Methodology and may post
it later. There are multiple documents - including Ajay Pillarisetti's PhD
thesis - I would need to collate; nothing in my reading has thus given me
any hope for this charade.

Nikhil