[Stoves] Stove race between CONTEXTERS & CERTIFIERS

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 3 10:04:54 CDT 2017

Dear All    (because this is far more than just about what Cecil and
others have written thus far (see below)),

[[ Note:  This message and selected others are posted (within a day) in
the EPosts section  of my website:   www.drtlud.com  ]]

1.  Cecil made a great characterization that clearly sets the two
perspectives:  Contexters and Certifiers.

2.  Thanks for the wonderful historical note about how the
now-discredited Lorena stove was a shared starting point for both sides.

3.  Please save you money (and the million dollars can go to better
purposes) because:
A.  The two sides will never agree on the ground rules to determine
victory.
B.  Even if 15 or 150 leaders on EACH side would agree, there can be no
forcing of acceptance of the results upon everyone.
C.  What is decided in the Xhosa region will not transfer to other regions.
D.  The real result is predictable:  there are SOME merits to BOTH sides.

4.  But the mere idea of a shoot-out is stimulating.   Some readers of
this Stoves Listserv are probably hoping for numerous casualties on both
sides.   Maybe at least the shooting  (or is it shouting?) will
diminish.   Or it could revert to WW I trench warfare with a stalemate?

5.  Do I care which side wins or loses?   Of course I do.  There is much
at stake.   But the result must be partial victory for both sides.

6.  What is in question is how much either side is willing to compromise
to assist the other side.  I suspect very little WILLING compromise, but
reality will eventually set in and changes could result.  Budgets will
be altered, with both winners and losers.  The Pro-Certifiers (tests and
standards advocates) who currently get disproportionately more money,
will feel a pinch (IMO).  This will occur if Certifier methods EITHER A)
are given less emphsis, OR B) are finalized and accepted.

7.  But is the Contexters who are disadvantaged with every month of delays.

8.  Personal story:  I was at Aprovecho Stove Camp 2004 when Tami Bond,
Damon Ogle and Dale Andreatta were working on the first testing
equipment, and at Stove Camp 2005 when the PEMS first became
functional.   Testing allows us to compare stoves and the impact of
changes to a stove.   In that first year of use (2005), the
clean-cooking stove competition was won (clearly won over Rocket and
other stoves) by my TLUD micro-gasifier stove design, which I promptly
named "Champion".  Without the stove testing capabilities, there would
have been no recogniton  and no justification for the decade of
continuing TLUD efforts.  In some ways, TLUD stoves owe everything to
stove tesing.   But too many years were spent chasing emission numbers,
when in reality the important work is to have the stoves into use (which
is thankfully happening now with current great success in West Bengal,
India).   (continue....)

9.  But stove testing took a turn toward establishing standards. And
standards became a "health issue" dictated from outside of the stove
community.   And LPG (and electricity) set the ultimate standards so
high that efforts for TLUD stoves have suffered.   The "perfect"
(fossil-fuel industry-supported LPG) has indeed become the enemy of the
"very good" (TLUD stoves) and of the "somewhat good" (Rocket stoves).
But the world still needs to replace over 500 million bad stoves for
which there is documented evidence that the solid dry biomass fuels are
the only ones realistically available and affordable and sustainable.

10.  So, I am a Contexter who defends stove testing but not stove standards.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com