[Stoves] re Topic Changed: Working on biochar/heat systems (Gordon West)

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 04:02:35 CDT 2017

On 5 September 2017 at 02:46, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:
> Dear Andrew and All
>
> The continuous upfeed char makers seem to be common enough and work if the fuel is homogenized. Do you recall the discussion about the rice hull gasifiers in Cambodia that ‎feed rice hull in the bottom and pull char off the top? It was making gas to run an engine for mechanical power (large rice processing factory) and some electric power production to operate a few machines and lights. Tom Miles said there are more than 200 of them in Cambodia.

I cannot recall that all, I remember the discussions on the Belonio
gasifier and Mayon stove having particularly blue flames.

I thought for engine use the offgas really needed to pass through a
hot, 800C+ layer to crack the pyrolysis products and reduce any CO2 to
CO.

Continuous system have the advanatge that there is no cool fuel being
added in batches to quench the combustion  or excess primary air
passing through the embers prior to reloading, both of which spike CO
and probably particulates also, TLUD largely avoids that as the char
isn't burned out.

What would interest me is whether gasifier stove that  are not TLUD
exhibit lower particulates in an inverse ratio to char retained .

Andrew