[Stoves] 22 second TLUD in development movie

Kirk H. gkharris316 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 11 00:47:59 CDT 2017

Jock,

Clean and simple design.  Very small flame.

Several things I note.

Most of the flame is coming through the larger inner holes.  It looks like it only comes through the smaller outer holes when the inner holes are overloaded.

See some smoke.  Could be the metal is cooling the gasses.  Can’t tell for sure but it may be coming mainly from the smaller holes.  This would make sense because they would be more efficient at cooling the gasses.

Are you routing the flame through holes to create turbulence?  It doesn’t seem to need it as the flames below the holes already look turbulent.  Or are you trying to pre-mix the gas and air and then the holes are intended to be a burner?  The only pre-mix TLUD I have seen is the one made by Alex English.  All others I have seen are mix-while-burning designs.  More likely, by keeping the center closed, you are pushing the wood gas out to meet and mix with the air, eliminating the central column of gas.

It doesn’t look like the flame is getting hot enough to be clean burning.  Additionally the metal plate may be cooling it even more.  You may need more primary air for a larger, hotter flame.  One positive of the outer holes could be that they interrupt the conduction of heat through the metal out of the stove.  Perhaps think of the outer holes as insulators to slow the flow of heat out of the stove, and the inner holes as the passage where the flame comes through the plate.  The outer holes keep the inner holes, and thus the flame gasses, hotter. Possibly move both sets of holes out some and enlarge the inner holes some so they can handle all the flame without needing the outer holes for overflow.

Don’t expect clean burning at higher powers.  The plate will provide flow resistance and back pressure will build up below the plate with more gas at higher power levels.  It will be more difficult for the atmosphere to push air at this higher pressure gas.  More gas and less air will mean dirty burning.  Not a worry right now because of the small flame.

I still remember your double washer stove design with the blue flame.  I think of what I took from that, to provide a confined volume for the heat to build up and crack the hydrocarbons as they pass through.  Thank you.

Good advice from Crispin.

Kirk H.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10