[Stoves] Calculating cooking costs and char costs ----Re: [biochar] Where to discuss STOVES AND CARBON offsets and drawdown

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Sep 18 11:46:30 CDT 2017

Dear Kevin and All

Please leave room for the real world to use these stoves.

In Central Java, Cecil found that something like 85% of domestic stoves were use 4-8 hrs per day to generate income. I those homes (a large number) which produced palm sugar, cooking represents only 30% of stove use. 70% of the time it is making something of tradeable value.

Space heating is not a cooking activity, and should also be allowed in the door. The use of the term ‘service standard’ is appropriate in that it can cover any activity that must be met.

A stove that is only really good at ‘cooking’ is likely to be added to a mix of stoves and ‘stacked’ for use at an appropriate time, like my toaster.

Hi Nikhil

I used the term “mealtime” more in the context of a “cooking session”. Clearly, a number of meals would be required at “mealtime.”

Knowing the number of meals prepared at the “mealtime”, one can then determine the wood consumption per meal, and ultimately, the “energy per meal.”

Note also that the “energy per meal” must be used with caution, in that it will vary with the nature of the meal. For example, a meal of rice and fish could require a different cooking time than when simmering a stew or boiling eggs.

Note also that the purpose of this particular Spread Sheet was to give an approximate value to char produced by TLUD’s. Would you have any further comments or suggestions in how to improve it in this regard?

Thanks, and Best wishes,

Kevin