[Stoves] Char used for cooking

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Thu Sep 21 10:40:31 CDT 2017

Nikhil and Stovers,

Point being we can load a good char with 8g of butane for every 100 g char for a typical char. Thats a lot of added energy per volume - I am thinking. Butane is not the only gas it will take up.Methane is another from past experimenting to see of Canadian Peat that is charred will take up CH4. More research needed.

Could be a good way to make a gas into a solid easy to transport? store? Perhaps increasing the energy value of char when used for cooking? Perhaps useful in other ways. Easy to start a fire.

Frank

> On Sep 21, 2017, at 7:31 AM, Nikhil Desai <pienergy2008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Andrew:
>
> What "heavy metals" in what kind of biomasses?
>
> This is a new one for me.
>
> Nikhil
>
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 4:09 AM, Andrew Heggie <aj.heggie at gmail.com <mailto:aj.heggie at gmail.com>> wrote:
> On 21 September 2017 at 06:30, Frank Shields <franke at cruzio.com <mailto:franke at cruzio.com>> wrote:
> > Stovers,
> >
> > When i do a butane activity test I pass butane gas through the char and a
> > good char will take up ~ 20g butane for every 100 g dry char. Most is around
> > 8 g added to 100 g dry.
>
> This is adsorption?  Presumably the more internal surface area the
> more butane is retained. Most chars are only mildly activated and the
> effect is increased many fold by treating the char with an oxidant
> that will "pit" the structure.
>
> >On a volume basis there should be an increase in
> > energy. Filling stoves is done on a volume basis. Not sure about increase of
> > energy on a weight basis.
>
> As butane has three times the calorific value of wood it should be
> more but what's the point, for cooking, in devolatising wood to make
> char just to add a gas back?
>

> >Butane is what I use but the char will take up
> > other organic gases.
>
> ... and heavy metals apparently
>
> Andrew

Thanks