[Stoves] stoves and credits again

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Thu Sep 21 12:17:11 CDT 2017

Andrew,    (and to Crispin and others)

Thanks for bringing the Subject back to the TLUD issue about charcoal.
Therefore, this is NOT about making charcoal by other means, whether by
stove or not.  This is only about TLUD charcoal.

A.  The realities (presented as generalities) about TLUD energy release
and char include:
1.  Pyrolysis is around the 550 to 650 C range (unless burning very hot
with much forced air)
2.  The char yield is about 20% of the dry weight of the biomass fuel
(mainly think of wood).
3.  That char contains about 30%  (NOT 50%) of the ENERGY of the biomass.
4.  And that char contains almost 50% of the carbon atoms.   (The
"extra" energy came from the hydrogen in the carbohydrates.)

If writers wish to continue to say 50% of the ENERGY remains in
TLUD-type charcoal, then let's resolve that here and now. Otherwise
there can  be no true discussion about the value of the TLUD char.

B.  Fuel effeciencies ARE compared with the baseline fuel consumption
figures of the 3-stone fire and other horribly inefficient very simple
stoves.     TLUD stoves in the carbon credit program in India save about
60% of the fuel, but basically I say "more than half".   That can be
compared with the "Save 80" stove which is named for saving 80%.   And
well made Rocket stoves generally claim to save 75 to 85% of the fuel
compared to the baseline stoves.   (Correct me if I am  wrong about any
of this.)

C.  So, compared with Rocket stoves, TLUDs have inputs of more fuel.
How much?   Not well  studied because so few of the well funded research
studies have bothered to  include TLUD stoves.   But in general, the raw
fuel differences (compared to baseline stoves) are:
about 55% for TLUD and about 80% for Rocket, being a difference of
25%.   Plus or minus how much?    5%  difference would give a difference
between 20% or 30% of the FUEL usage, with the  advantage for Rocket
stoves.

D.  Well, if there is 30% of the original energy still in the created
TLUD charcoal, that means TLUDs could be equated with Rockets about
ENERGY efficiency (not talking about FUEL efficiency), OR that the TLUDs
are actually 10% BETTER about energy efficiency than  are the Rocket
stoves.   Maybe just call it "even".    But stop implying inferiority of
TLUD stoves regarding ENERGY.

E.  I do not have the time, funds or equipment to quantify or verify
what is stated ("claimed") in  the above paragraphs.   But unless
someone does that measurement (and then it is subject to laboratory
error and human factors such as micro-control of the placement of the
Rocket wood pieces), the issues of char production and energy efficiency
and fuel effeciency are as is stated above.

F.  Note that this discussion is NOT about heat transfer efficiency.
Simply placing a pot too high above the combustion configuration can
make major shifts in heat captured by the pot. There is nothing
inherently better or worse about TLUD-ND heat transfer compared with
Rocket stove heat transfer.   Correct position, shielding, etc. for both
types.   [[ Note:  I do expect to show someday within 6 months that
TLUD-FA (Fan Assisted) will have an improvement of the heat transfer,
but leave that for later.]]

G.  And the _financial _value of the charcoal from TLUDs can then  be
discussed, with all  of the cultural and environmental factors that
raise or lower the dollar values.   Of note:

1.  where fuel (wood or other accepted biomass fuel) is plentify (or
even needs to be "removed" because of space or fire hazzard or cropland
issues), there are reasons to FAVOR the TLUD stoves to consume more fuel
(not more energy) over Rocket and other ICS stoves which have measurably
higher harmful emissions.

2.  Where there are established (or strongly potential) needs and uses
of charcoal of the type from TLUD stoves, the financial value of the
char can far exceed what an additional release of 30% of the raw-fuel
energy could bring.  Charcoal has many uses.

3.  The value of carbon credits is VARIABLE, even at the same moment in
time.  Cookstove carbon credits have consistently been purchased at
higher values than carbon  credits from wind turbines, etc,   But that
is IF the carbon credits have been identified (and verified) as having
come from cookstove projects.  If they are simply lumped in with all the
other carbon credits, their value will have been "averaged" lower.  [[ I
will be saying more about this in coming weeks..]]

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com