[Stoves] stoves and credits again

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 01:44:04 CDT 2017

Crispin:

I am afraid I would have to disagree on some points with you. You have an
"expert" answer but only a partial acknowledgement of the complexity of
political economy of clean cookstoves as I have slowly discovered over the
last year.

1. I had carefully worded my first question about "lab-tested energy
efficiency of renewable biomass a significant consideration for buyers of a
manufactured stove."

You have cited one survey but not linked it to lab test results or
"renewable biomass". Some 700 million biomass stoves are running in the
world, and the annual market is probably 400 million, considering average
stove life and population growth, stove types, whatever. New manufactured
stoves with a lab-tested energy efficiency rating have made zilch of a
difference in the world market. All this "efficiency" competition is in the
heads of theorists selling stoves to donors, not to users.

2. If the customer does not know, and mass manufactured (rather than
artisan or fixed) stoves have not proven themselves in the market place,
what difference does it make if the test uses WBT or anything else? Again,
you are making the point about theorists finding confirmation in surveys
rather than markets.

3. This test protocol or that, the ISO ratings exercise is a dead-end
alley. I agree with you about "undue influence exerted during the process".
It is the TC management's job to moderate such influences and vet draft
standards with public review and comment, plus in this case an independent
audit by people who know something about energy markets overall.

I am not at all sure ".. it is difficult for the WB to avoid using an ISO
standard if it exists, even if it is a dreadful product." For one, the ISO
product has to be accepted by the client country. Why, Kenya and Rwanda may
accept it and with it, World Bank money may flow - if the finance minister
agrees - for stoves that may not deliver what the standards are intended
for. But if India or China or Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico, Nigeria reject ISO
standards and Tiers, or only use them selectively - say, for Safety - the
World Bank does not have to impose ISO standards.

But that is the next stage - if money flows, people may be surprised.

Nikhil

PS:
Supplement to 3:

a. I have no means of judging whether TC-285 is a "project of and by those
who manage it, not those who participate in it." All I know is the 2012 IWA
and a 2013 paper by Susan C. Anenberg and Jacob Moss, notionally the
founding parents of GACC from US State and EPA, with five others, with an
evident push to convert the whole "clean cookstove" enterprise to a
bandwagon for a US-style "New Source Performance Standard" the way EPA had
done for power plants and boilers in my earlier life and spent 30 years
doing for residential wood heaters. (Regulations are still to be fully
effective only in 2020, and may not happen.)

What is worse, whereas in US, wood or coal combustion sources were
regulated or banned in reference to National Ambient Air Quality Standards
(NAAQS, tightened around 2010, but I may be mistaken) as applied to
individual CONTEXTS - cities, towns, multi-jurisdictional metropolitan
areas.

In the case of household cookstoves in the developing countries, EPA had no
such "reference objective" - achieving and maintaining ambient air quality
standards. So what do EPA contractors (GACC, others) do? They jump on the
bandwagon of IHME/Kirk Smith and get WHO to concoct Household Fuel
Combustion Guidelines: Solid Fuels. There are "guidelines" for indoor air
quality, but nobody to my knowledge has applied them in standards in
developing countries, at least not for the inside of the homes of poor
people. No matter; without any air quality standards, they rush to declare
Tiers and ranges for PM2.5 emissions in terms of units per delivered
energy. What do emissions have to do with concentrations? Nothing, unless
you not only cook a standard meal on a standard stove on a standard fuel by
a standard cook for a standard family at a standard time, you also assume a
standard home, standard ventilation, standard wind pattern, and standard
mobility.

Plus, you ignore all other sources of PM2.5 like ambient air pollution from
activities other than cooking, or from neighbor's cooking, or smoking, or
burning garden wastes, anything.

There is no basis for computing the total PM2.5 exposure by controlling
just the cookstove hourly average emission rate, leave alone the cookery of
HAPIT going from concentrations to aDALYs.

That is, whatever you think of the "efficiency" debates that is so heated
in this forum - linked to test protocols - it is the PM2.5 metrics and
Tiers that have zero credibility.

Unless Kirk Smith is God. Why, he too says,  "There is a natural urge to
forget that the CRAs, at best, estimate “attributable” impacts and apply them
directly to estimate what might be achieved by interventions today, i.e.,
“avoidable” impacts."

WHO's natural urge to forget should be remembered by all or us. WHO is
fooling us, and billions of prospective users. While I don't think much of
HAPIT model for computing aDALYs, it makes adjustments for "ambient air
pollution" and other such confounding variables (though not the health
confounding variables). WHO has no basis to issue emission rate targets,
and certainly not in PM2.5 terms.

This deceitful manipulation of what Lima Consensus presented as "Potential
Standards" into utterly arbitrary IWA "Standards" -  referring to 40CFR60
(a section of US Code of Regulations) which has nothing to do with
cookstoves - is an obvious abuse of ISO processes.

It is the manager who is accountable, to ISO leadership, country members,
and the in turn to their own governments.

Since ANSI is a co-chair of the ISO TC-285 exercise, I wonder just what it
owes to the US government, whom it represents. What are the US national
interests here? To control the lives of billions of cooks worldwide?

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*